Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2009 14:00

dell 1397 -- Cannot connect to wireless network

Hi all,

I have a Dell Studio 1535 that comes with a dell 1397 wireless network card.

When I try to connect wirelessly to any (absolutely any) network in the area the connection fails. I've brought this to work and used it on an unsecure network, my neighbors who have wep and wpa-psk (tkip), and my own which I am using wpa2-psk (tkip). Routers ranging from wrt54g, wrt160n, dir-615, dir-625, and a belkin n (forgot the model). I'm able to see ALL the networks in the area, but when connecting it fails. 

I have the dir-615 at home and I've tried every security combination, as well as disabling everything. I can connect with my other laptops (lenovo t42, dell latitude d800 -- think this one comes with a dell 1300 wireless card) after the changes are made without issue.

I have absolutely no idea how to resolve this issue. All the drivers and firmware are up to date. I've reinstalled vista home premium several times and even tried windows 7 (use this on my lenovo).

Has anyone ever run into this issue or have any idea's on how I could resolve this issue ?

Thanks,

Shawn

3 Posts

September 15th, 2009 16:00

Just an update to anyone else having the problem and unable to get it resolved --
I bought a dell intel 5300 agn (on ebay - $17 USD) and the problem is now resolved :). No fuss, just plug it in, connect the cables, and let windows install the drivers.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 4th, 2009 15:00

sm00nie,

You can try going to the device manager, 1397 WLAN, advanced. Try changing the antenna diversity to Aux.

I have these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in my wireless router, I use channel 11, and have connected at least two different Studio laptops with 1397 WLAN cards in them. One was set for automatic and one was set on aux.

Rick

3 Posts

September 4th, 2009 17:00

Hi Rick,

I have made the above changes and again tried it out at my neighbors place and my own. It will not connect at all.

I'm starting to think that there might be an issue with this particular nic. I did some googling today and found that this is a common experience and that upgrading to an intel 5100 or 5300 seemed to solve the issue.

No Events found!