Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2016 06:00

how to connect my new Dell laptop?

It's been 6+yrs since i bought a laptop, so for Christmas i bought a new Dell w/ Windows 10.

So now do i just plug it in the modem i had been using w/ my old laptop?

Will a wizard help me to connect etal? I only have a Smartphone (no landline) which is my modem and have Verizon wireless.

Thank you for any advice

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2016 07:00

Just do what you always did and see if it works.

If it doesn't work, then report back with a more thorough description of your connection method.

8 Posts

January 17th, 2016 08:00

I wish i could remember what i did 6+yrs ago in regard to buying a new pc and connecting to Internet, but have had a lot happen in this past 6+ yrs so i am forgetting more.  I will be 69 next mo and seem to be less confident than i was when i first bought a pc in early '90's and taught myself all.

So i will hook up my new laptop in place of the older one and pray a Wizard or whatever will come on to help me connect (as i only have Verizon wireless, no landline) here in rural MT and not confident w/ their Service here which is mostly poor.

thank you, J :emotion-36:

8 Posts

January 17th, 2016 12:00

I have a 2+ y.o. Blackberry Curve 9330.

I've been using a Dell laptop w/ Windows Vista for 6+ yrs (but now have websites telling me i have to upgrade), so i bought new laptop.

I turn new laptop, go to the Connect to area and Verizon Wireless isnt listed there, so i list i want new connection and put in info as best i can, and click to connect, but it says "Verizon blocked"?  I must be not doing a setting correctly and no Verizon store here (its 2 hrs away), and cell service poor so hard to call them and get instructions, but would like someone to email me instructions on how to connect new laptop to Mobile Connect & Broadband w/ Verizon. 

I'm right now am writing you on the 6+ y.o. laptop which is connected to Verizon as it always does and has all these yrs. I just want to have same on new laptop now. Being i dont have a landline in rural MT I pay extra for Mobile Connect and Broadband and use my Blackberry as the modem.

On my Blackberry in the Internet Connections area, i have it checked w/ check mark next to Mobile Network (Verizon), but i do not have checkmark next to WiFi (as i dont use it).

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2016 12:00

I wish i could remember what i did 6+yrs ago in regard to buying a new pc and connecting to Internet, but have had a lot happen in this past 6+ yrs so i am forgetting more.  I will be 69 next mo and seem to be less confident than i was when i first bought a pc in early '90's and taught myself all.

So i will hook up my new laptop in place of the older one and pray a Wizard or whatever will come on to help me connect (as i only have Verizon wireless, no landline) here in rural MT and not confident w/ their Service here which is mostly poor.

thank you, J :emotion-36:

Are you saying that you forgot how your internet connection is suppose to be from the few days time you switched from your old PC to your new PC?

I am completely baffled as to how you can be using a smartphone and at the same time be using a modem to achieve internet connection.

Without further better description from you we are at an impasse.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2016 13:00

There wasn't an immediate need to buy a new PC since Microsoft's official statement is that they are supporting Vista until April 2017.  Be sure to upgrade to Internet Explorer 9. My mother is still using a laptop running Vista.

Anyway, it sounds like what you are doing is tethering your Blackberry.

You'll want to ask over at the Blackberry forums on how to achieve this with your Blackberry and Windows 10.  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve/bd-p/Curve

The only problem I see with this is that in your attempt to try to get Windows 10 to work, you could end up hosing your internet connection to your Vista laptop leaving you stranded.

If I were you, I'd pay a visit to your Verizon wireless store.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 17th, 2016 14:00

Its probably better you visit the store or ask for a new router to be sent out. Likely you will get a better connection/deal than you did 6 years ago.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2016 14:00

Its probably better you visit the store or ask for a new router to be sent out. Likely you will get a better connection/deal than you did 6 years ago.

He's not using a router.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/curve-9330-smartphone/

8 Posts

January 19th, 2016 07:00

I think i found the solution here on Dell. 

I see that the new Dell laptop (the model i bought) has a key on one of the top keys on the keyboard w/ a wireless tower that i am to click on.

I havent done it yet and will do that later today.  I guess it will tell me to do whatever one has to do to connect when someone like me only has a Smartphone as their modem and has Verizon Wireless w/ Mobile Connect & Broadband like i do here in rural mtn area of MT.

NOTE too: As to answering about why i bought a new laptop w/ an upgrade of Windows (which turns out to be Windows 10), i preferred staying w/ what i have as i love my 6+y.o. Dell laptop w/ Windows Vista.

However, certain websites already are telling me i have to upgrade (even Facebook is saying that now to me) and Directv (ever since being bought out by ATT) as they have a new website that says same to me.  I guess i could have dl Windows 7 for free online since i have Vista and 7 would be next to get, but i wasnt sure what all to do, so i thought just buying a new laptop on sale would be better but never thought it would be such a chore to connect again w/ a new pc.

Life seems more complicated at 69 y.o. as i started using a pc way before Windows and only used DOS and then had the first desktop w/ the first Windows (and yes it was all new and took time but i was 25+ yrs younger too! You would think today things would be easier, but i have found not true and we are having to pay more and more for all new technologies, no less all everyday life sourcess we need.

Thank you for your help here and glad Dell had that link to help me get connected as i am not up w/ the new tech jargon and didnt realize the words WiFi and Wireless are same, but if we pay we can have it secure.  Am i right?

Also i had some great people help me on Verizon Facebook, and thank them too.  

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 19th, 2016 08:00

I think i found the solution here on Dell. 

I don't believe that will work for you, but you can try.

8 Posts

January 19th, 2016 14:00

Well i hope it will work when i do get around to trying it. I never got to trying it today as out this a.m. and then came home to power outage in our area.

I like to think positive as much as i can even tho at times the forces seem to be against us.

It seems to make sense what Dell is saying in the info i finally found.  I wonder why they don't show or explain how to connect to wireless in their Quick Start Guide that came w/ the laptop.  It took 10 hrs of my time so far in trying to find an answer to my question, and still i have to try what the instructions say, and praying it will work.

For now, i still love my 6+y.o. Dell laptop w/ Windows Vista, even tho some websites are telling me i have to upgrade. So right now i'm not that much in a hurry to change to the new Dell w/ Windows 10 that i will have to become familiarized with, personalize, install, uninstall, etc.

So when i have another full quiet day, and i'm in the mood to try connecting the new one, i will try it. I pray it will work.

No Events found!