Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2009 17:00

inspiron 1525 laptop reinstalled and now no internet

After many start up problems with laptop ie. restart normally or in safe mode and so on, decided to reinstall OS (followed directions in manual).  Gave up on dell support - no help, they'd always tell me it was a software problem. Warranty over and support over.  Well, still have same problem and now I have new problem of no internet connection.  How do I get internet connection back?  any help appreciated

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2009 21:00

wondercheer,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

15 Posts

December 31st, 2009 06:00

Thanks Rick.

I used the correct order you listed.

Is it necessary to install all the drivers (20 different ones) or can I just install the 2 network drivers?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 31st, 2009 07:00

wondercheer,

You'll need to install the desktop/notebook Utility (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first or the rest of the drivers will not install.

Then you need to install the network drivers you need.

Rick

15 Posts

January 1st, 2010 11:00

Here's the order of installation I used:

1. Dell application MediaDirect 3.5

2. OS vista home prem 32 bit sp1

3. drivers and utilities for dell inspiron and dell studio

4. microsoft office home and student 2007

5. drivers and utilities dell webcam

6. roxio creator DE 10.2

7. MediaDirect 3.5 (again, per instruction in book)

When I go to drivers and downloads page, via service tag, there are 20 different downloads.  Do I need to download all?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2010 11:00

wondercheer,

Yes, Dell Media Direct is first, if you have it.

Yes, the Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1 is next.

So install these in this order.

Dell Notebook System Software 

Dell System Software 

Intel Mobile Chipset 

Ricoh R5C833 

You should be able to get a connecting with an ethernet cable at this time.

As for network cards, do you know what network card you have installed?

Not sure if this will tell you or not, at the bottom.

Finding System Information about your wireless adapters/cards

Rick

15 Posts

January 1st, 2010 13:00

Does that mean I don't install the other disks that came with the laptop? and do I only download the ones you listed?

"So install these in this order.  

Dell System Software 

Intel Mobile Chipset 

Ricoh R5C833  "

Here's my network card:       UM061     Module, Card, Network DW1505, Inspiron, Rest Of World

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2010 14:00

wondercheer,

After you install those in that order, then download and install

Marvell 88E80XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller

Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card

Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

See if you can connect after you install these drivers.

Rick

15 Posts

January 1st, 2010 14:00

Here's what I've done so far in this order  and still no internet (ethernet too) :(

Dell Media Direct

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1 

Dell System Software

Intel Mobile Chipset

Ricoh R5C833

Also, Network Discovery won't turn on in Network and Sharing Center.

15 Posts

January 1st, 2010 15:00

Yeah!!!  I have a connection!  Everything seems fine.  Looks like I don't have start up problems like before. 

I haven't installed Microsoft Office and Roxio Creator yet. 

However, there are 72 windows vista updates to do.  Should I do updates before or after I install Office and Roxio?

I don't want to mess up anything so far. Sorry if questions seem lame - I'm computer illiterate!

Thank you so much Rick! Your help has prevented me from kicking this laptop to the curb!

Margaret

15 Posts

January 1st, 2010 19:00

Hey Rick,

There are no yellow marks or red x's.

Yes, already installed McAfee virus protection.

Question: I still have 2 other disks - 1.  Drivers and Utilities for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron and Studio and 2. Drivers and Utilities for Reinstalling Dell Webcam Manager  Do I need to install these or were they covered with the downloads you listed before?

By theway, I spoke to soon about start up problems.  The laptop was turned off for over an hour and once again, when turned on, had black screen with "due to recent software or hardware change" and options to restart in safe mode or start windows normally so on (sorry, can't remember all it listed).  I started normally and now ok (until the next time its turned on).  Seems to only start up this way when its been off for longer periods.

Margaret

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2010 19:00

Margaret,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21:

Install all the Windows Updates first.

Do you have a Virus program installed, yet?

Go to start, control panel, device manager and look and see if there are anything there with yellow exclaimination marks or red x's. If so, then report back what they are.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2010 20:00

Margaret,

I would Download Latest Java

Then download Vista SP2 Standalone version and install it. It may take a while but this should get rid of the BSOD.

You'll need to install the webcam, Roxio and nOffice but If you didn't do so yet, wait until you install Vista SP2.

Rick

15 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 07:00

Rick,

Last night I installed Java, Vista SP2, Roxio and Office.  The only disk I have left is Drivers and Utilities for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron and Studio - do I need to install this?

This morning I turned on the laptop and dreaded BSOD was there.  Then black screen with Windows Recovery Error came up and I chose start windows normally.  It restarted and black screen came up and then another restart, finally to normal desktop.

I also installed 35 windows updates this morning.

I checked the device manager and "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" under Network Adapters, has a yellow exclammation mark.  There are already DW1505 mini-card  and Marvell Yukon Ethernet listed under Network Adapters too (but no yellow or red marks).

I just shut it down and turned it back on after 2 mins, with no BSOD and started normally.  I will leave it turned off for an hour and try turning it on again, to see if BSOD is still there.  Like I said before, start up issues seemed to occur when laptop was turned on after long periods of being turned off ie. overnight.

Thanks Rick.  You've been great!

Margaret

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 08:00

Margaret,

Insert the Drivers disk and install the following drivers...(If my memory serves me correctly, there should be a checkmark next to these)

Audio

Video

Dell Recommended Vista Power Management Settings

Dell QuickSet

I would also go and run the tool and make sure all the Intel Drivers are up to date.

Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters

Did you use the Dell Dock or not? I didn't so I did NOT install this.

Rick

15 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 14:00

Hi Rick,

I did what you listed.  When I came to video driver, it said there was a newer version was already installed, so I didn't install that one. Nothing came up with the Intel Drivers tool, so I think its ok.

I don't use dell dock, so that's ok too.

Had the laptop turned off while I was out and just turned it on.  Same BSOD again, to windows recovery error black screen, to Dell logo, to windows recovery error black screen again, and then it starts ok.  I tried to take a picture of BSOD screen but I missed the Technical info lines at the bottom :(    Now, if I try to turn off and on again,  it'll just start normally with no blue or black screens.  It has to be turned off for a while and then they're back!

When should I just give up?

Margaret

No Events found!