Highlighted
Computer-Geek
2 Bronze

internet explorer program missing

internet explorer program missing on laptop.

I had some problems with internet exoplorer at one point in time.

after putting up the computer, and then trying to use IE again,

now IE is missing altogether, its not in the start menu.  Its not found in Control panel, in windows features in control panel.  and I m not sure how to down load it since I dont have any browser at this point.  ( no firefox, or google chrome.) 

further, I went into windows features in control panel. and clicked on windows features, and I was expecting to see IE 8 or IE 10 was turned off, but it wasnt even in the list.

what can I do?  dowen load it to a thum drive?

Spence T.

AKA Computer Geek

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: internet explorer program missing

Hi,

Interesting question.  I found this article on using built-in FTP support in Windows to download files, in this case Firefox is used as the example.  That should do the trick.  Then you can just download IE if you still want to and erase FF. 

You didn't mention whether you're using Win 7 or Win8, but I *think* you can get IE reinstalled if you do a repair installation of Windows.  That is a bit much though, and a lot of hassle.  

But honestly, downloading Firefox, Chrome, or IE to a thumb drive, then copying the .exe file over to that system would be, by far, the easiest way to do it.

Let me know if this helps.  

Todd

0 Kudos
Computer-Geek
2 Bronze

downloading Firefox, Chrome, or IE to a thumb drive, then copying the .exe file over to that system would be, by far, the easiest.  - quote:

Thanks for your reply, I'll give that a try.

Windows 7 btw, this was on a Compaq Laptop, I know this is a Dell Community, and I'm a terrible man.

Spence T.

AKA Computer Geek

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

So this list on your machine doesn't have Internet Explorer?

I would advise you to use the WSUS Offline Update to patch your Windows installation fully and the offline update should include IE11 and its prerequisite updates:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

I would also advise you to install Malwarebytes' Antimalware and scan your computer because it sounds like something is wrong.

Also once you are up to date and online prepare for Windows 10:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/preparing-for-windows-10/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos