Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2011 09:00

no wifi after reinstalling windows xp dell inspirion 9200

which of the many (8) drivers do i need to get my wifi connection back? is one enough or i need all of them? which card is in the dell?

need to use a desktop pc and usb stick as my dell laptop does not get any internet connection to do the download

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_9200&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

tried to download the wireless 1450 wlan mini pci card - but got stuck with the windows.net file installation after 15min

so frustrating, anyone can help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2011 10:00

peg66,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

3 Posts

March 16th, 2011 11:00

i have already checked the dell website for drivers and entered my service tag before writing in the forum

the result showed 49 files - are all of them needed to be installed - what do you say?

can i not just install the network driver - 8 show up, no clue which one is needed.

i also saw the dell info on the order of files tobe installed-not comprehensible for a non IT person

in u r response is this the order in common language?

1.Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
2. Chipset or SMBus driver
3.Processor Driver (if applicable)
4.Video
5.Audio (sound)
6.Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
7.Modem
8.Network Card

9.QuickSet(Laptop only)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2011 15:00

peg66,

These need to be installed first.

Dell Notebook System Software and Intel Mobile Chipset <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Then you can install

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Conexant D110,MDC,1.5,v.92 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  and  one of these...

Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN MiniPCI Card, Dell Wireless (US) WLAN Card<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, Intel (R) Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter or Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Dell QuickSet needs to be installed.

Rick

3 Posts

March 16th, 2011 16:00

thx!! got it. anything i need to delete before installing those files?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2011 17:00

peg66,

Just start with installing the notebook system utilities and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

No Events found!