Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2012 06:00

problems installing onboard internet driver

good day fellow techy's

I am having an issue involving installing a driver for a Broadcom BCM57780 Gigabit network interface card

I recently reinstalled the os (windows 7 ultimate 64bit)  and had to reinstall the drivers. I lost the drivers and utilities disk but  got the driver of the dell website. when I use it it get to the part that the driver installation progress bar appears there is no activity and then the install wizard crashes. before this problem began i had to activiate the microsoft SNMP service which I did and yet the problem I recently mentioned remains.

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I am fixing this computer for a freind and dont want let her down.

regards,

ghosthunter4hire

oh and by the way the driver in question can be found here : http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

remember, windows 7 64, optiplex 380, and its the first one in the network options

April 24th, 2012 19:00

again...no dice. there is indeed a yellow exclamation mark on the Ethernet controller in device manager( which by the way is listed under "other devices" with a ? icon on it FYI ) but when i right click it and  search for drivers it searches the computer and finds Nada. I tried removing(uninstalling) the Ethernet controller and restarting the comp. when it first came on the windows action notifier said installing device driver in a bubble for a few seconds. That bubble was then replaced by a "driver did not install correctly" bubble when i clicked it to see why it said "no driver found". so apparently the vanilla driver for the Ethernet is also missing or it's the incorrect one. Then I tried the BROADCOM_57XX-GIGABIT-CONTRO_A07_R296615 installation and guess what? same problem as before, it reaches the install status window, no install progress action happens then a few moments later, fails and says "install shield wizard completed, the wizard was interupted before boradcom netxtreme-I netlink driver and management installer could be completely installed , your system has not been modified. to complete  installation at another time,please run setup again,click finish to exit the wizard"

any other ideas, tell me should I just stop lighting candles in a typhoon and get a NIC for the dell optiplex?

I'd perfer if that would be the last resort but well.. it looks like were are running out of 2nd and 3rd resorts.

Regards,

Ghosthunter4hire

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2012 12:00

ghosthunter4hire,

Did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Try Broadcom BCM5784M LAN or better known as Broadcom Netlink Gigibit Ethernet (64-bit drivers)

Rick

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 21st, 2012 06:00

For Windows 7 64-bit for Optiplex 380, BROADCOM_57XX-GIGABIT-CONTRO_A07_R296615.exe (41MB)  is the LAN driver that comes up for me.

However, you need to re-install the DSS and chipset in Safe Mode. If that still doesn't work, you will need to re-install Windows 7 all over again.

April 21st, 2012 06:00

afraid not oh pudgy one, I took your advice and installed the drivers in the order in the support page you refered.

the drivers I installed are as follows in order:

1: Desktop System Software

2:the intel chipset software

3: I tried the Try Broadcom BCM5784M LAN driver you reccomended it installed something on my computer but nonethelless the internet adapter still didnt have a driver. then i retried the regular broadcom driver the one i described above

did I miss a driver in my list or is there something else I am missing.

Regards

Ghosthunter4hire

April 21st, 2012 18:00

also no luck, in safe mode the windows installer service is not available, and the windows installer service is required to run the driver installation program. bit of a paradox eh? please note that every time the installation fails it says the install wizard was interrupted. Any idea what would've interrupted it? and furthermore, precisely how wold reinstalling the os help in installing a driver? any idea or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

cheers ,

ghosthunter4hire

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 21st, 2012 20:00

ghosthunter4hire,

Download and install first...

Desktop System Utility

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

Then download and install...

Dell BCM95722 PCI-E NIC

Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card Desktops

And then install

Dell ControlPoint Security Device Driver Pack and Dell ControlPoint Security Manager Application

This should get you online to install the Audio and video drivers.

Rick

April 23rd, 2012 19:00

also.. no luck everything you told me to download and install worked, excluding the BROADCOM_57XX-GIGABIT-CONTRO_A07_R296615. when ever I run it  I get this window at the end a "install shield wizard completed, the wizard was interupted before boradcom netxtreme-I netlink driver and management installer could be completely installed , your system has not been modified. to complete  installation at another time,please run setup again

click finish to exit the wizard" message after the installation progress bar window. nothing ever loads during the progress bar window, even if I disable UAC. any ideas on precisely what might cause the interruption I mentioned above?

Regards Ghosthunter4hire

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 22:00

Ghosthunter4hire,

Start, control panel, device manager, network

What do you see there? Any yellow exclamation marks? If yes, first try right clicking on it and update driver. If it doesn't want to update the driver, then right click on the problem device, then left click remove. Tell it to remove the drivers, then restart the computer.

The new hardware wizard will install the device on the next log in to an unrestricted account. If it doesn't install, then use the drivers to install.

Rick

1 Message

May 9th, 2012 07:00

I too had this same problem and nothing would fix the network adapter. The fix I finally discovered was Dell Driver pack number R296613 and the driver in the windows 7-x64 directory finally worked. Hope this helps

1 Message

August 20th, 2012 09:00

On my Optiplex 380 with Windows 7 64 bit I used the R296613 just like JMDECLIPSE above recommended and it worked. Link can be found here. Just download the drivers and extract them. If you try to install them via the setup file it will fail every-time. Just go into device manager and browse to your extraction location and it will install just fine then. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e5510?DriverId=YMHGV&FileId=2731101344&DriverName=Broadcom%2057XX%20Gigabit%20Controller%2C%20v.16.4.0%2C%20A07&urlProductCode=False

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 03:00

the extraction of files from R296613 is not happenin using winzip. So can you please direct me how to do it.

No Events found!