Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2008 02:00

"32 bit diagnostic" wont run

Dell Dimension E521
Windows XP
Firebox
Still under warranty

Have spent two hours "chatting" on-line with a Dell tech person trying to figure out why my Internet connection does not work.  I think it is a bad NIC because two other computers connect just fine (DSL).  I finally was told to run 32 bit diagnostics at start up by rapidly pressing f12 at the Dell logo, but that didn't work.  It just went right into the Windows welcome screen.  I then was told to put the resource CD into the drive and turn off the computer, when it starts up again, press f12 at the Dell logo....nothing, just goes into Windows welcome screen.  Dell e-mailed me that they will try and call, but I want to know why the 32 bit diagnostics isn't working and is there anything I can do about it. 

Thanks for any help.  I'm not very computer savy and didn't even know there was a 32 bit diagnostics until today.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2008 17:00

Reboot and press F2. If you can get into BIOS setup, make sure the onboard NIC isn't disabled.

Typically there's only one USB port on the rear of the tower that's active before Windows loads USB drivers. That's the one where keyboard should be connected. You may have to try all of them to find the right one. And it might help if you unplug all other USB devices, except mouse, while you're trying to find the right port for the keyboard.

Ron

19 Posts

February 10th, 2008 20:00

Thanks for your reply, Ron.  Ended up on the phone with Dell the next day for a long time....the NIC card is bad and they are replacing it.  But in the meantime I found out that the reason f12 and f2 weren't working is that I had the keyboard plugged into a USB hub.   When Dell told me to plug it directly into the USB port on the computer, it worked.  Then we could begin the diagnostics.  Who knew?

Hillhopper
No Events found!