Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2009 20:00

"did not assign a network address to the computer"

A friend just gave me her old computer (dimension 2400) and I can't get it to connect to the internet. I am using my computer to type this mesage. I have a Verizon westell model 7500 has my computer wired with an ethernet cable. I also have a computer in my kids room using a usb wireless thingy to connect to the internet through the Verizon westell model 7500. Both those computers work great. The computer my friend gave me has an integrated Broadcom4401 network card. I've tried disabling and enabling the network card, still doesn't work. I've tried updating the network card driver, still doesn't work. I've tried installing the wireless stuff and plugged in the usb thingy ( like I have my kids computer set up), still doesn't work. I don't think it has anything to do with the network card since the wireless wont connect either. A friend showed me a site which explained how to make an Ultimate Boot Disk, so I did it, and it didn't help me at all. I don't know what to do with the disk. I tried using it and after it booted I could connect to the internet. But, I don't want to use that disk every time I want to get on the internet with that computer. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions or comments would be great. Thanks in advance.

6 Posts

May 16th, 2009 11:00

Rick,

System restore did not work. 

Dell's PC Restore (ctrl & f11)   WORKED!!!

Thanks for the help.:emotion-2:

ATFmycoys

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2009 23:00

ATFmycoys,

If at any time, then operating system was re-installed, then maybe not all the drivers were installed correctly. Try re-installing the drivers. Do you see anything strange in the Device Manager?

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

If this doesn't work, then try using WinSock XP Fix

Rick

6 Posts

May 13th, 2009 12:00

I'm not sure if the os was re-installed or not. Do I have to uninstall everything before I try re-installing all the drivers? I don't see all those drivers. I don't see Desktop System Software, Input Drivers, or Modem.

I tried to edit my last post but I guess I did it wrong, it was suppossed to say:   PS... I tried using winsock xp fix, still doesn't work. I've also tried typing in a command prompt "netsh winsock reset catalog", still doesn't work.:emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 13th, 2009 22:00

ATFmycoys,

Maybe this will help.

Rick

6 Posts

May 14th, 2009 21:00

I've looked under my service tag and under Dimension 2400, I still don't see these:

Modem

:emotion-42: What download do I use on nLite?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

ATFmycoys,

Below is a list of drivers below. Most of us have used nLite for making a slipstream disk, theis way you have all the updates without downloading them again. We also use Wndrvrbckup Backup Utilities to keep the drivers we currently have on the computer so we don't have to look for them.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

ATFmycoys,

nLite(CLICK ME)

The chipset drivers need to be installed first. I didn't see a Desktop system software for the Dimension 2400.

If you use nLite and Wndrvrbckup Backup Utilities you should have all the drivers you need.

Rick

6 Posts

My computer and my kids pc are running xp pro - sp2, the problem pc has xp home - sp3. Hows come the computer can connect to the internet when I boot it with the Ultimate Boot Disk, but not without it. It sounds to me like I need to re-install xp. I don't know where to download ALL the drivers though. What would happen if I wipe out the hard drive and do a clean install of xp (without the Dell drivers)? One last question... why do some pc problems have to be so freakin complicated? :emotion-1:

6 Posts

May 15th, 2009 21:00

I pressed ctrl and f11...  should I press this Restore button?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2009 09:00

ATFmycoys,

Make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

Instructions here.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2009 12:00

ATFmycoys,

I'm glad you got it working! :emotion-21: I was trying to do it so no files and folders would be gone.

Please mark the verify answer on your post so if anyone else has this problem, they can see what you did to get going again.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!