ajth87
1 Nickel

replacing NIC

hey everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop in which I am looking to replace the NIC. Reason being is because after speaking with my ISP about my internet service going in and out, the process being split second to the point whereas I wouldnt notice it if it werent for my AIM away window popping up when such happens or me failing to recieve a message through AIM when this split second disconnect reconnect occurs, peculiar but it came down to packets being lost. Though the percentage of packets are virtually 0 at most 1 percent, there are still packets being lost which is annoying when using AIM. I have the Intel 82562v-2 10/100 NIC currently and was wondering if I should just buy the same NIC or would anyone recommend me to buy something better that might allow faster speeds? I am not positive that it is the NIC, though I am sure it isnt the connection to the modem from the ISP rather it is from the modem to my PC which can also be wires. I will also replace the wires with new CAT-6 but figured I would replace the NIC also for assurance. Thanks for any feedback.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheRealFireblad
4 Ruthenium

Re: replacing NIC

There are many to choose from, but I can personally recommend Linksys (/Cisco - my favourites) +/or Netgear products. 

Although I now use a Linksys wireless N router (and a Linksys wireless N PCI card in my PC), I've owned Netgear routers in the past.

I've never had any problems with either, and both are very reliable, and easy to set up.

But whichever manufacturer you decide to go for, you'd be as well to get a 'N' capable card now - even if your router is only 'G' capable, because 'N' is backwards compatible.

Should you then decide to upgrade to a 'N' router at some time in the future (if you don;t already have one), you won't need to buy another PCI card upgrade to match it emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
ajth87
1 Nickel

Thanks for that info. Though, I am more so looking for a wired NIC rather than a wireless.any ideas?

0 Kudos
TheRealFireblad
4 Ruthenium

Yup:  Linksys EG1032 'Instant Gigabit' Network Adapter (10/100/1000) emoticon.Idea.title emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos