Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2006 15:00

unable to contact DHCP server

Hello,

I cannot connect to the internet with my Inspiron 1100.  I have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 network card.

I have installed the lastest driver for the card and I have tried to use both winsox fix & isp fix.

When I do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, I get an error message "unable to contact your DHCP server". 

results of ipconfig /all as follows (by the way, is there an easier way to cut/paste from the cmd screen instead of retyping everything?):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: D75TBT21
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Addres: 00-0B-DB-1E-E6-A0
Dhcp Enable: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.94.32
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway:
DNS Servers:?
                       ?
                       ?
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled: no
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway:
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2K Posts

March 23rd, 2006 15:00

Redirect to a text file

IPCONFIG /ALL >My.txt

[ The ">" symbol is what causes the text that normally goes to the video display to "redirect" to a text file instead. Because it is going to the file, you will not see it (at first) on the display, which will just remain black after your command. ]

After you exit the CMD screen, you can run notepad (or wordpad) to open the "My.txt" and then copy and paste freely.

21 Posts

March 23rd, 2006 22:00

Follow this instruction ...

Symptom

DHCP Client Service may not automatically. When you attempt to start the Service manually, the following error may be displayed:

Error: Could not start the DHCP Client Service on local computer

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Resolution

The DHCP Client Service in Windows XP, depends on these three components:

• AFD
  • NetBios over Tcpip
  • TCP/IP Protocol Driver

If one of the above drivers fail to start, then the DHCP Client Service may not start.

Step I - Make sure that the three driver files are present

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder. Make sure that the following files are present in the folder:

• afd.sys
  • tcpip.sys
  • netbt.sys

If one or more of the above driver files are missing, extract them from the Windows XP CD-ROM or from the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the latest version.

Step II - Verify the number of Dependencies

From other sources in the Web, I've found that some versions of Norton Antivirus (NAV) adds an entry to the DHCP Service Dependencies, and removing NAV does not remove the appropriate value from the DHCP Dependencies.

To quickly determine the Dependency services for DHCP Client Service, type the following command in Start, Run dialog:

CMD /K SC QC DHCP

Verify the output. It should be exactly as below:

[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: dhcp
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TDI
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : DHCP Client
DEPENDENCIES : Tcpip
: Afd
: NetBT
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

If additional entries are listed under DEPENDENCIES...

If any other additional drivers or Services are mentioned in the DEPENDENCIES section, you need to remove them via the registry. Follow these steps:

• Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
  • Navigate to the following branch:
  • Backup the branch to a REG file

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Dhcp

• Double-click DependOnService MULTI_SZ value and set it's data as follows:

Tcpip
Afd
NetBT

• Close Regedit.exe
Step III - Verify that the Dependency Service / components are running

Next step is to verify that the three dependency components are running. As the three components are actually the Kernel Drivers (Driver Service), you need to manage then via the Device Manager. Follow these steps:

• Click Start, Run and type DEVMGMT.MSC
  • In the View menu, click Show hidden devices
  • Double-click Non-Plug and Play drivers section
  • Double-click the entry AFD, and click the Driver tab
  • Set the Startup type to System.
  • Start the service. Note down the error message if any.
  • Similarly start the two other drivers namely:
  • TCP/IP Protocol Driver
  • NetBios over Tcpip
  • Close Device Manager and restart Windows. [/quote]

Message Edited by sbinh on 03-23-2006 07:44 PM

3 Posts

March 24th, 2006 12:00

Thank you for the advice.

I tried everything listed, but the 3 files were present in c:\windows\system32\drivers, the dependencies printed out exactly as you listed, and the components were all set to System startup and were already started when I looked at them in the device manager.  I appreciate the help and if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Kimberly

2K Posts

March 24th, 2006 12:00

I notice (reading back through) that it says WINS not enabled; however, I believe on our system we have selected DHCP over WINS, so then how could DHCP be running if not over WINS (and if WINS is not enabled, then would that not also prevent taking advantage of DHCP?)?

3 Posts

March 24th, 2006 14:00

I'm not sure about this.  I checked the TCP/IP Advanced settings against the computer I am writing from, and they were the same.  There was no WINS address listed in either case.  When I did ipconfig /all on this computer, it also indicated that WINS was not enabled.

A difference that I saw with this computer is that in the Local Area Connection Properties of the machine not working, I have choices for a Client Service for NetWare and related items (NW Link NetBIOS and NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.  However, all 3 of these items are unchecked.

2K Posts

March 24th, 2006 18:00

Personally I would remove all that Novell and IPX/SPX stuff. I believe the (only) client you need is Client for Windows

At least that is all I / we use in Windows 2003 server "Domain" environment at my work place.

No Events found!