Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2013 14:00

usb connections

Is it possible to connect usb2 to two different destinations through one cable.  Say, from two different computers to one printer. The printer has only one usb port. Thinking of something like a "y" cable, plugged into 2 different computers and the other single end of the "y" going to the printer.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 18th, 2013 14:00

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 18th, 2013 19:00

One other question. After checking out various electrical chats about usb cables, I haven't really pinned down anyone who knows what the maximum length of a usb cable can be. Does anyone know just how long a cable can be without losing, AHEM, " NOTICIBLE"  power or data loss problems. Any info would really be appreciated.

Sorry, I don't know the answer.

But as with everything PC, they sell USB extenders and repeaters. :-)

40 Posts

December 18th, 2013 15:00

Thanks IEEE, just checked it out, seems to be exactly what I need. One other question. After checking out various electrical chats about usb cables, I haven't really pinned down anyone who knows what the maximum length of a usb cable can be. Does anyone know just how long a cable can be without losing, AHEM, " NOTICIBLE"  power or data loss problems. Any info would really be appreciated.

40 Posts

December 19th, 2013 07:00

IEEE488

Thanks for all the help with the "y" cable issues and the cable length issue.  I don't really think a usb cable could lose very much over a ten foot length.

Have a good Christmas!

No Events found!