Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2008 00:00

wireless 1390 wlan minicard needs 5 or 13 ascii characters for WPA?

I have a Vostro 1000 running WinXP. It has a wireless 1390 WLAN minicard in it.

I downloaded the R151519 and R174291 drivers for it. The system says it has the driver 4.170.25.12.

When I tried to configure the wireless card with my WPA WiFi password, it said the password had to be either 5 or 13 characters for WPA. Is this right? Do I have the wrong driver or something?

My WPA password is not 5 or 13 characters long, and this seems like an odd constraint.

Do I have to change the passwords on my WiFi radio and all my computers to be 5 or 13 characters long to be in line with this Dell constraint?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

28K Posts

January 30th, 2008 02:00

Are you sure you don't have it set for WEP encryption.  As far as I know, only WEP has limits on the length of the encryption key (5 characters for 64 bit, 13 characters for 128 bit).  Are you sure you are using the same WPA encryption protocol on both the router and the wireless adapter?   It should be WPA-PSK TKIP. 

Steve

28K Posts

January 31st, 2008 22:00

I assume you are using the Dell Utility to manage your wireless connections.  Although I have that utility I do not use it because the Windows utility is so much more effeicient.  In any event, if you click on the Wireless Networks tab and double click your network, what does it say at the top of the page where it asks for the network key.   There are two possible screens.  On one it thinks it knows the protocol you are trying to use and it will just tell you to enter the key for WiFi Protected Access (which is WPA).  On the other one there is a scroll box at the top which lets you select the protocol (WPA or WEP).  If you can get to that screen you can change it to WPA and type the WPA password    If there is already a profile set up that thinks you are using WEP, the delete that profile and create a new one.   All in all it would be much easier if Windows were managing your wireless networks. 

Steve 

60 Posts

January 31st, 2008 22:00

Thanks, Volcano.

Any idea where I can read about the software that is asking this question? I assume it is one of the drivers (R174291 or R151519), though I'm not sure. I tried searching on those two drivers in Support, and got nothing about them asking questions about passwords.

I had the "view all networks" showing on the screen. It showed a bar graphs, showing the relative strengths of the signals. I clicked on mine, and the software came up with the "need password". That's when the 5 or 13 ascii character problem occurred. Any idea where I can either read about this software, or what else I should have done to connect to my WiFi signal, and get a question about my WPA password, and not a WEP password?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

60 Posts

February 1st, 2008 03:00

Thanks again.

How do I let Windows do the wireless connections for me? After loading WinXP onto the Vostro 1000 (was Vista), I just downloaded every driver according to a list from another Dell forum/board. So I'm not sure how to let Windows do the wireless connections for me.

Is there anything else that I should let Windows do, besides what the drivers' software does?

Thanks,
Paul

28K Posts

February 1st, 2008 04:00

Open the Dell Wireless Utility and uncheck the box next to " Let this tool manage your wireless networks".  Then open Network Connections, right click the wireless connection, select Properties, then click on the Wireless Networks tab and put a checkmark in the box next to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".  Once that is done, you can click the Add button to add the wireless network and enter the correct encryption type and network key.

Steve

60 Posts

February 1st, 2008 22:00

I'm having a problem, Steve. I unchecked the box next to "Let this tool manage your wireless networks" on the Dell 1390 card software.  Then I opened Network Connections in Control Panel, right clicked Wireless Connection, selected Properties, clicked Wireless Networks, and clicked on the box for "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

I clicked Add to my WiFi wireless network, and entered the SSID, selected "WPA-PSK" and "TKIP", then typed in my Network Key (16 characters long) twice.

While that window is still open, I clicked on the Connection tab, then went back to the Properties, and the software had truncated both of my 16 ascii character Network Keys to 8 balls (characters). What happened?

What truncated my 16 character Network Keys to 8 characters while the window was still open?

I thought maybe the software wasn't showing all 16 balls, so I tried to connect to my WiFi connection, but got a "Limited or No Connection" error, and the list of local WiFi's showed mine as "No Connection".

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

60 Posts

February 2nd, 2008 02:00

More confusing data. But first of all, the Dell does connect to a unsecured WiFi that somebody has in the neighborhood. That's how I'm talking to you now. So I know the 1390 works unsecured.

Confusing - I got my Dell to connect to my WiFi, but it does not allow Firefox to connect to anything. So I did the following:

- right clicked monitor icon on bottom right of screen

- clicked "view available wireless networks"

- it said I'm connected to my WiFi

- I clicked on "change advanced settings"

- clicked on "wireless networks"

- my Wifi is listed at the top of box with "(Automatic)" next to it

- with my WiFi highlighted, I click on "Properties"

- The network key only has eight balls in it (I have 16 characters!). Everything else is as you said. The SSID is my WiFi. The Network Authentication is WPA-PSK. The Data Encryption is TKIP. But the network key is the wrong length.

- So I retype in my 16 character Network Key twice and click OK.

- I click OK again to the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" box.

So I double click on Firefox, and it can't find google. It can't find anything. I go back into the software, and the network key is again 8 balls (I assume it truncated after the first 8 characters). It fooled the 1390 minicard into thinking that it was connected, but no useful data goes through it.

Any ideas on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

28K Posts

February 2nd, 2008 03:00

Don't be concerned about the number of dots shown for the network key.  Mine is 32 characters long and only shows 8 dots.  Mine also works,  Windows always shows them as 8 dots.

To help troubleshoot this problem, on the computer with the problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

60 Posts

February 2nd, 2008 04:00

This is while the Dell is connected to an unsecured neighbor's WiFi.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : paul-9c407a28f4

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-B2-11-49

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-D0-1A-9C

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 02, 2008 1:03:39 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 09, 2008 1:03:39 AM

Hope this helps.
Paul

28K Posts

February 2nd, 2008 05:00

This shows that it is not a problem with Windows networking, but some misconfiguration of your own wireless nework. 

I would suggest that you reset your router to its default settings.  That will return the SSID, username, and password to their original default settings and disable all security.  Then, one step at a time, change the SSID, username, password to what you want.  Checking each time to make sure you can connect.  Finally enable the wireless security/encryption.   Before entering the encryption key, type it into text file in Notepad.  Copy and paste it from Notepad into the appropriate box on the router, then when you try to connect by wireless for the first type, copy and paste it into the appropriate field when requested.

Steve

Message Edited by volcano11 on 02-02-2008 01:36 AM

60 Posts

This is when the Dell said it was connected to my WiFi, but Firefox couldn't even connect to google.com.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : paul-9c407a28f4

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-B2-11-49

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-D0-1A-9C

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.80.34

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Hope this helps too.
Paul

28K Posts

This only tells me that it is successfully connecting.  Since what we are tyring to find out is why it is not connecting to yours, it doesn't help.  Disconnect from the unsecured network and try connecting to your secure network, then run the command again and post the results.

Steve

60 Posts

February 2nd, 2008 22:00

I have two other Dell desktops and a Toshiba laptop that currently use this protected WiFi network. I'm typing this message on the Toshiba through the protected WiFi. Why is the Dell laptop not connecting as well? It seems overkill to start the router from scratch all over again when three computers are using it fine. Would a "ipconfig /all" from my Toshiba (currently connected to my WiFi) help you in any way to determine what may be wrong with how the Dell Vostro 1000 (which you already have the "ipconfig /all" for) connects to my network? If so, I will post the "ipconfig /all" from my Toshiba laptop and you can compare it to the Dell Vostro data and hopefully figure out what is wrong.

Thanks again,
Paul

60 Posts

February 2nd, 2008 23:00

I figured it out! It's my fault.

The paperwork from when the guy installed the Verizon Fios had a post-it note with a password on it. I thought that was the WEP or WPA password. I was wrong. That was the password to log in to the router(?). The "WEP Key" is written right on the side of the router! Geez.

So I am typing this on the Vostro 1000 on my WEP WiFi.

Thanks a lot, Steve. You were a great help. Take care.

I'll be sure and try to help others on this forum as you helped me.

Thanks!
Paul

28K Posts

February 3rd, 2008 16:00

Great!  I'm glad you got it fixed.  Thans for letting us know how you solved the problem.

Steve

No Events found!