Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

September 22nd, 2011 16:00

wireless 1505 not enabled after a driver update

Hi,

I've an Inspiron 1521 with Dell wireless minicard 1505, running Vista that was running fine except for 'BCM42RLY service failed to start, can't find file'  messages logged in the event log, so I thought I would stop that by uninstalling the device driver and re-installing a later version. So I *deleted* when I did the un-install (didn't want any nasty bits left behind) and re-installed the later R174292 drivers. Install went ok, and device manager likes it too, no nasty exclamation marks and it does say "This device is working properley"! On dear, the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility tells me different, it says "There are currently no wirelss adapaters available and enabled".  When you try to 'connect to a network' it too reports "Windows cannot find any networks".

Done "SFC /scannow" just in case, and no probs reported.

I seem to have deleted something really important when I nuked the driver, that R174292 did not replace? Needless to say I cannot roll back the driver! And, just to be sure, that little 'ole network switch on the side of the 'old lappie is firmly ON!

Anyone got any great suggestions, other than paying over £60 to Dell's support to come fix?

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 21:00

Usually the wifi card drivers come with the driver and a separate file called the application which is a piece of software that you can use with the card. I'd try installing that too.

September 23rd, 2011 14:00

Thanks ieee488...................I can confirm that I have reinstalled R174292, the latest driver (12-Oct-2007 v 4.170.25.17) and R151520,the latest Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility (v A14, not sure about the date) and still have the same problem. In fact ipconfig/all does not even list the WLAN card, just the LAN card. The Dell utility refuses to see a WLAN card, yet Device Manager is still 'happy' that it's there. The only thing that recognises it is the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 2, it's listed there, no particular error messages, but the test button is 'greyed' out.

I still think some important file(s) got nuked when I deleted the driver, but just don't know what............oh, and I tried to restore vista to a prior point and it failed with unspecified error.

Getting deparate now, anyone with any really good ideas would be most welcome

September 23rd, 2011 14:00

.............should have said, uninstalling the current R174292 in Device Manager and then scanning for new h/w to allow vista to find a driver, trys to load a Broadcom driver and then fails..........................

September 27th, 2011 14:00

ok, so now I know it's a driver load issue and not a driver install issue, because this problem report tells me PnP could not start:

Product

Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter

Problem

Could not load driver software

Date

22/09/2011 21:36

Status

Not Reported

Description

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 10.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode

Architecture: x86

Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_000A1028&REV_03

Setup class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

PnP problem code: 0000000A

Driver name: bcmwl6.sys

Driver version: 4.82.28.56

Driver date: 11-02-2006

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Any one, with any further suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 28th, 2011 09:00

wheel_spinner,

Did you recently reinstall the operating system? If so, did you install the drivers in order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Try looking to see if Connection is enabled

Code 10 is a drivers issue with the device. Try reading...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager then use Internet Explorer and download the drivers, in your browser.

Run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

September 28th, 2011 13:00

Hi Rick,

Appreciate the response, although as it's my daughter's laptop and she's at uni just now I'll have to let you know how I remember it. My responses are in brown:

Did you recently reinstall the operating system?

Nope, I simply un-installed the original driver, whilst at the same time deleting its files (don't think I'll be selecting that option too many times in the future!)

Try looking to see if Connection is enabled

I'll have to assume that as the wireless card is listed in Dev Mgr (without any yellow warning triangles), it is also enabled in the BIOS. Toggling the wifi switch on the side of the laptop displays the wifi logo, with and without a warning red-slashed ciricle in front of it as you'd expect.

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager then use Internet Explorer and download the drivers, in your browser.

Did that when I installed R174292 and R151520

Run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here. 

I can reassure you, very positively, that it did not even list the wireless card, at all. It did list the wired ethernet card though.

I'm still very much of the opinion that some key file(s) deleted by the driver un-install were not returned when I re-installed R174292 and R151520. It's just knowing which one(s)? Thoughts?

Many thanks,

wheel_spinner

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 28th, 2011 19:00

wheel_spinner,

Try running Finding System Information REMOVE THE PRODUCT ID and post the rest of thge information back here. I.m interested in seeing if the network adapters shows.

If not, then try reseating the wireless adapter card. INSTRUCTIONS HERE. Make sure the antenna wires are also connected.

Rick

November 1st, 2011 15:00

Rick,

Apologies for the huge delay as I struggled to get time off my daughter (away at uni) to do this. I can now confirm it's all working! BUT, I do not know what was done to her laptop by one of the other students. She had a LAN network issue (the rest of her new block did too) so this 'other' student helpfully, uninstalled Avira, Defender and ZA, but did to his credit install MS Security Essentials and heavens know what else to fix the LAN issue, and seemingly fixed the WLAN issue too. Very unsatisfacory, not knowing what he changed. All as I can say is that the systinfo.txt correctly shows the two interfaces:

Network Card(s):           2 NIC(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
                                 Connection Name: Local Area Connection
                           [02]: Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card
                                 Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection

And, ipconfig looks good, the Dell wireless utlity and so does the Network and Sharing Centre! As if by miracle, it's all sprang back to life!

I don't want to beleive that it was uninstalling Avira, Defender and ZA that fixed this problem as I've used that combination on all my laptops/PC's for years, and these should NOT have stopped any of the applications 'seeing' the WLAN device as being available to the system.

Hey, after 30+ years in IT, I'm now getting very jaded with having to 'maintain' a Windows system, and it randomly acting illogically. I'm seriously about to invest in a iPad with Apple TV and start my new career with Apple's technology. A proper techi friend described Apple's products as 'rock solid', and I very much like the sound of that as it will save me many, many wasted man hours.

Your interest in my problem has been much appreciated,

Wheel Spinner by name, and nature

No Events found!