Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

June 30th, 2008 12:00

wireless card driver for Dimension E521 (desktop)

I'm helping a friend of mine reinstalling his system (after the system couldn't start with unmountable HD message blue screen). I installed the system CD (XP with Service Pack 2) and Utilities CD later. Everything works except wireless networking. I installed all the items listed at Utilties CD but none seemed to relate to wireless card. Searching the Dell site does not yield anything. My friend insisted that wireless card came with the system when the system was ordered by phone. If so, where would the drivers be located on Dell? How can find out the name of the wireless card on the system. Device Manager shows Ethernet card or something similar in the yellow question mark area without telling much. I can tell the one installed from Dell CD is working as it was under Network Adapters.

Thanks for the help,

2.4K Posts

June 30th, 2008 18:00

Hi

@wfz wrote:

I'm helping a friend of mine reinstalling his system (after the system couldn't start with unmountable HD message blue screen). I installed the system CD (XP with Service Pack 2) and Utilities CD later. Everything works except wireless networking. I installed all the items listed at Utilties CD but none seemed to relate to wireless card. Searching the Dell site does not yield anything. My friend insisted that wireless card came with the system when the system was ordered by phone. If so, where would the drivers be located on Dell? How can find out the name of the wireless card on the system. Device Manager shows Ethernet card or something similar in the yellow question mark area without telling much. I can tell the one installed from Dell CD is working as it was under Network Adapters.

Thanks for the help,

Dell did not do a wireless card for Dimension  E521:smileysurprised:

Chipset

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller Windows XP

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
512 MB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
Dell E196FP
HDD WDC WD800BB-75JCO 80GB C:
HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
Logitech Cordless Click Plus Rechargeable Optical Mouse
Mozilla Firefox 3.0
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1

My Security Software
Avanquest SystemSuite 8 Professional
Windows Defender

14.4K Posts

June 30th, 2008 22:00

you might have to open the case and see if you can id the wireless card.

or go HERE

enter the service tag and select the orginal configuration tab. If a card was installed it should be listed.

install the chipset driver that the previouse poster linked to then the ethernet driver. 

proper order of Driver reinstallation is Here

3 Posts

June 30th, 2008 22:00

Thank you both for the answer.

I went to the link provided but the wireless card does not show up there. Does it mean my friend didn't order it from Dell?

If it's not from Dell, how can I find out the make of the card from the system. I guess I probably can get that information by unplugging the card and find the model name there.

14.4K Posts

June 30th, 2008 23:00

That would be my guess. 

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 13:00

Thank you for the help. It turns out he had card from a different vender and someone set it up for him. He didn't remember until I showed him the info from Dell's site.
No Events found!