Fredpants
1 Copper

wireless connects but can't access internet

I am trying to access the internet via an unsecured wireless network using my Latitude D620. I am able to connect to the network but I cannot connect to the internet with any programs (e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer). Any ideas how to fix this?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
jmwills
6 Gallium

Re: wireless connects but can't access internet

Is this your network?
0 Kudos
Fredpants
1 Copper

No it's not my network. It's a network in my office.
0 Kudos
jmwills
6 Gallium

If you are authorized to connect, then see your System Administrator.  Otherwise, it is against the rules of the Forum to tell you how to hack into a private network.
0 Kudos
Fredpants
1 Copper

Hmmm... perhaps I was unclear. It's not a private network, it is an unsecured wireless network setup with a router in a small office. I am able to connect to the network it's just that the programs I wish to use do not connect to the internet even though my computer shows that it is connected to the wireless network. I thought that this was a problem with my new laptop since I have never had this problem with my old laptop but perhaps it is a problem with the wireless network?
0 Kudos
jmwills
6 Gallium

Unsecured maybe, you can still be blocked out by MAC filtering.  Talk to the Admin.  Only they will know why you are being blocked.
0 Kudos
lfkb20
1 Copper

I have the same problem except that there are some networks I can use the Internet and some I cannot.  All the networks that I have tried are open access such as Starbucks, and friend's networks.  How can I fix this problem???
0 Kudos
lfkb20
1 Copper

I have the same problem you are facing except there are some networks that I can connect to the Internet and some I cannot.  All networks that I have been denied access to the Internet have been open to the public (such as Starbucks and friends networks).  Did you find any answers???
0 Kudos
jmwills
6 Gallium

Items that deny access to wireless networks:

Closed (secured LANS need the proper encrypted password)
Wrong SSID
Not enough DHCP addresses available
Denied Access by MAC filtering
0 Kudos
lfkb20
1 Copper

I apologize but can you explain what your following statements mean and how to check if these are the problems???

I know that other computers are able to get on the networks I am trying to get on without a password so it can't be secured.

How do I figure out if it is the wrong SSID?

How do I know if there are not enough DHCP addresses?

How do I know if it is denied access by MAC filtering?  How would I find answers to it?

I appreciate you helping me find some answers!
0 Kudos