Highlighted
sclarkecru
Copper

Dell Power Connect 2716 - Cannot login to web-based managed mode

Hi there,

I'm having some real problems logging in via managed mode. The switch is configured to managed mode...the LED Is solid green as should be, and the default IP is 192.168.2.1.

I can access the web page fine, and the login page pops up. I enter ''admin'' and then leave the password field blank as stated, but when I click ok all I get is:

''ERROR

User name or password missing''

It's like it's not recognising that I’m entering text into the field, is the software corrupt? And how can I fix this?

Is there anywhere else I’m going wrong here? How can I completely reset the switch to make sure it hasn't retained any funny settings?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Zitibake
Silver

Re: Dell Power Connect 2716 - Cannot login to web-based managed mode

It's some brain-damaged HTTPd embedded in the PowerConnect.   I have occaisonally gotten in with recent Firefox, but in past years, only MS-Explorer could reliably authenticate.  Even then, I occaisionally (rarely) see the same issue with Explorer.  Restarting Explorer lets me get in.

0 Kudos
bh1633
Gold

You can get inconsistant results if you have multiple switches on your network with the same IP address.  Most of the Dell switches have a default IP of 192.168.2.1.  Are you working on a closed network with just a PC and the switch?

What version of IE or Firefox are you using?

0 Kudos
bh1633
Gold

To completely reset to defaults, use a paperclip to push the "managed mode" button.  Hold the button for 30 seconds.  wait about 3 minutes for the switch to reset and come up in unmanaged mode.  push and hold the managed mode button again for 30 seconds.  wait about 3 minutes for the switch to come up in managed mode.  Now try again.

Another thing to note is the duplex of your connection.  I have seen management issues on this switch if there is a half duplex connection to the management pc.   A half duplex connection can result from the management pc not having autonegotiation set.

0 Kudos
NickANack
Copper

I've found that IE works pretty well.  FireFox v3 is what I'm using.  But I frequently have to clear my cache when working on the Dell PowerConnect switch.  I finally pulled down an add-on for FF - johnnycache.  Johnnycache allows you to completely block the browser from cachine any content from a device or domain.  That works.

But - I've found if I change the management address of the PC switch ... to anything other than a /24 mask ... I can't log in no matter what. 

0 Kudos
blfinche
Copper

I was having the same problem that everyone is having here, but my solution was to turn off the antivirus (Avast Web Shield).  Once I did that, login was no problem.

Bobby

0 Kudos
cristol
Bronze

Johnnycache works well for me. The only trouble now is that it has not been updated for Firefox 3.6. In the future, I expect I'll have reason to update Firefox and I don't relish the thought of losing Johnnycache. Has anyone found a plugin comparable to Johnnycache?

0 Kudos
Ref4eBob
Copper

I did the same thing and got the same result, ''ERROR User name or password missing''

Tried the other answers in this post without success (maybe the remove cache is the exception - just what is a cache anyway?).

However, after just going to the 'Tools' tab in the IE browser and selecting 'Delete Browsing History' (default settings), I could successfully use the admin login with no password!

Robert

I know this is old, but perhaps try using your browsers inprivate mode. (Actually I may be incorrect, as its still cached in memory in Chrome but not written to disk).

Also check that ie's cache is set to automatic.

0 Kudos
galaxy61
Copper

Hello,

I am having the same issue (actually worse, I cannot even get the login page to appear at all). I have tried everything suggested on this thread, including IE6 and Firefox, to no avail. I, too, have the 2716.

Any other suggestions? I would really like to enable Jumbo packets......

Thanks in advance.

Doug

0 Kudos