Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2017 01:00

Force10 S4810 Private VLAN interface mode

I'm trying to configure interface to private-vlan mode trunk, but this fails with: % Error: Po 48 Port is part of a non-default VLAN.

This interface is configured as follows:
interface Port-channel 48
 no ip address
 portmode hybrid
 switchport
 sflow enable
 vlt-peer-lag port-channel 48
 no shutdown

And it has normal (non-PVLAN) untagged and multiple tagged VLANs already configured.

As I experimented this on another unused interface, I was only able to configure PVLAN trunk mode when all of the VLAN tags had been removed from the interface.

The interface I'm trying to configure is critical for production. So I would not like to remove VLAN tags from it.

Is there any way to configure private-vlan mode without removing VLANs and causing connection outages for normal VLANs?

The switch in question is in VLT domain with another switch and the aforementioned port-channel leads to another identical switch setup with VLT domain. So the port-channel has total of two links (one per switch).

{ sw1 --- sw2 }- VLT domain 1
   |       |
{ sw3 --- sw4 }- VLT domain 2

I had one idea to minimize downtime and interruptions was to do this on both switches of the configured link at the same time. So for example I would simultanously remove vlans, configure PVLAN mode and re-add vlans on the first sw1/sw3 pair and after that same for sw2/sw4 pair. My management connections originate from a network attached to sw1/sw2, but AFAIK I should be able to maintain management connection to the other side through the sw3/sw4 VLT interconnect. This of course would be done during maintenance window.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 09:00

Hi,

I do not see a way to make a port that has a private VLAN have other VLANs, but if you make it a private VLAN you should be able to have more than one primary VLAN and could include the needed VLANs. Page 734 http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd_prt_swtchs/force10-s4810_owner%27s%20manual9_en-us.pdf

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 21:00

You can configure both normal VLANs and Private VLANS to the same interface. This isn't the issue and I have done this succesfully. It even mentions on the PVLAN concepts section of the manual you linked at page 735 that "A trunk port can also belong to a regular VLAN (non-private VLAN)."

The problem is that I can't configure interface PVLAN mode (in this case trunk) without clearing all the existing VLAN tags and then re-applying afterwards. I also wonder what the reasoning is for this logic?

No Events found!