Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2015 09:00

How to find what model / type of GBIC is installed without removing it

Hello,

I have a couple PowerConnect 5448 switches that are up for replacement.  The both link up to our customers network via fiber GBIC's.  Aside from pulling the GBIC and looking at the model number, is there a way to determine that info from the CLI or web interface?

I'd just as soon not take down the network just to gather data.

Thanks!

24 Posts

December 4th, 2017 07:00

Sorry to necro this thread.

I have N1548P. "show inventory" and "show inventory media" did not work on my switch.

What did work was this. I have eBay generic singlemode 10km transceivers. Despite this, it still shows our wavelength! :)

ch-switch#show interfaces te1/0/3 transceiver detail

Type.............................. UNKNOWN
Media............................. N/A
Serial Number..................... B1002240156
Dell Qualified.................... N/A
Data Rate......................... UNKNOWN
Wavelength........................ 1310
Receive Power..................... N/A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 16th, 2015 11:00

There are a few commands that you can run to get overall info about the interface/trasnceiver.

Console# show interfaces status

Console# show interfaces advertise

Console# show fiber-ports optical-transceiver

Console# show fiber-ports optical-transceiver detailed

I don't know of any command that would show you the part number of the transceiver being used on the switch. I am not even sure the transceiver advertises that kind of info.

Did the switch come with these transceivers? Or purchased third party.

19 Posts

February 16th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, the switch doesn't respond with the desired info.  I'd already tried some of those.  I don't know about Dell gear but Cisco does indicate the speed and short or long wavelength of the connected components in response to a 'show interface'.

Yes they were purchased with the switches so I've got it narrowed down to two different types (one short wavelength and one long).  The new hardware is all short wavelength.  Just hoping to be sure that the link back to the customer doesn't have to be long.  I'm waiting on the guy who installed it to respond and let me know what port we're connect to on the customers side.  Then I can ask them to query the router.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 16th, 2015 12:00

If you want to direct message me the service tags i can help look up the units to try and help narrow things down.

May 30th, 2017 13:00

Try using -

show inventory media

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 4th, 2017 13:00

Those are super helpful commands! Thanks everyone for sharing.

No Events found!