Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2009 16:00

531s has 2 beeps at start up

Im frustrated!  I just got this computer 11 months ago and now its kaput!   i was down loading some cds to my computer & then it froze and i had to power it down multiple times.  Now, all i get when i turn on the power is 2 short beeps & the power button is lit(blue), the fan kicks on  & then the monitor says its "going into power save mode?"  then thats it...i am not a computer wiz so i dont know all the terms and logos and all that other jazz.  Can someone please help me?

14.4K Posts

Hello Nefetieri and welcome to the Dell forums.

2 beeps according to your system manual troubleshooting

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is a memory issue, as in no memory modules are detected.

When you say you had to shut the system down multiple times what exactly do you mean. Did you power it on and it froze and then you had to press and hold the power button?

At this moment it looks like it could be your memory modules or your motherboard. I would first suggest you try booting the system with one stick of memory installed into slot  #1 which is the slot closest to the processor. Do this with each stick one stick at a time. If neither will work try and see if you can get some other memory or test it in another system. Or you could pick up a stick or two and try them.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

According to the Dell manual  HERE  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> two beeps is a memory problem.  Open the case, with the PC powered off, and reseat the memory modules (unplug the module and then plug back in).  Use caution with the memory modules and only handle them by the edges as they are static sensitive.

If that doesn't fix it, usually there is a 1 year warranty, so call Dell support for assistance.

No Events found!