Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 14th, 2009 04:00

AIO 948 - Dimension 8300 hangs on boot

Hi to anyone who can help.

I have just taken delivery of, and installed a new AIO 948 printer. When connected to the (any) USB port, my Dimension 8300 will not boot if the printer is switched on first. I can't even get to the bios setup page. I just get a flashing cursor. Am I going nuts here or what? If the printer is switched off, the PC boots normally. If I then turn the printer on after the PC has started up, it runs fine. Get this....if the printer is switched on first, the PC hangs with the flashing cursor. If I then disconnect the USB cable while it is hung, the PC completes the boot sequence as per normal. So obviously the PC does'nt like something on the end of the USB port. But none of the other 3 devices (PDA's, camera's, TomTom, phone) seem to affect it. Just this printer. before anyone asks, yes the printer has the latest firmware installed.

Tired and frustrated.

Denis

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 14th, 2009 04:00

Denis,

Disconnect all USB devices, then restart your computer. When you see the Dell Screen, press F2 once and wait. This will take you into the bios.

Look at the boot sequence and the order should be CD/DVD Rom, HDD(Hard Drive), then you select what you would want to boot from next. Save changes and exit.

What is happening is that your boot sequence is for the USB device to boot before the Hard drive, and with the printer connected, your computer is trying to boot from the printer. We usually have this problem when an iPod is connected, too.

Rick

3 Posts

June 14th, 2009 05:00

Thanks Rick,

Seems to have worked.

I also see there is a later BIOS version than the one I have on the Dimension. Currently booting with A01. I have found reference to A07. Should probably do that also.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the help. .

Denis

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 14th, 2009 05:00

Denis,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it working. I guess you figured out that you have to connect everything back up, again.

I usually don't update the Bios or drivers unless I have a problem with the device. I do get all the Windows Updates.

I also forgot to mention, since you have all these devices connected, here is a little tweak for you. This will keep power going to the USB Ports all the time.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!