Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 01:00

Best Wireless Router to use with a StudioXPS running 64 bit Vista Ultimate and soon Win 7

I need access for 3 home computers,seldom two at a time.  My neice has a mack and she frequenty uses access.  I've been using a simple Netgear WGT624 v2 for almost 4 years, this is an old "G" and worked GREAT.  I'm using it now.  Today I spent no less than 5 solid hours with tech support people with DLink and Netgear.  Thought I'd upgade.  Thought I'd benefit from a little more speed and alot more capacity. I've purchased two " N " s, The last being Netgear "Wireless-N" series (WNR 2000).  The software absolutely failed on both.  First tried to use my very current Studio XPS to setup/configure the router but it's not compatible w/64 bit.  So i use an XP notebook and had ip address issues all day.  Never got on longer thanten minutes.  So I hook up the old " G " and all connected computers, using 3 different ops, are humm'n..

I know i'm dealing with multiple issues, but i'm looking for advice on current routers that have to work with Win 7 (64 bit), XP,2000 and MAC ( one of the kitty series).

Thanx,

Hank

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 05:00

Look at the Linksys (owned by Cisco) routers. They have a much better track record than the Dlink and netgear.  I only recommend Linksys to my clients.  Talking with the local cable companies techs they too recommend Linksys and say they have a lot of problems (actually customer equipment problems) with other brands that they do not have with Linksys.

No Events found!