Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2008 20:00

Blank video display

Recently purchased a referbished Demension 3000 with Vista Ultimate installed.  It came with a DVDRW that would not record DVD because the graphics card does not support DX9.  Checked the nVidia website and purchased a new GeForce FX5500.  Downloaded their Vista 32 bit driver and installed it.  Could not get the new card recognized or working, so went back to the nVidia site and found a possible sollution: disable the old graphics card in the Device Manager and reboot. On startup, the new card should be recognized.

Guess what? Aw, you knew! Now I have no display screen to see what the computer is doing. It does not appear to boot at all, the busy light blinks a few times when powered up, but does not load Vista (no sound when the welcome screen loads).

Don't know where to start, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bill

3.4K Posts

December 6th, 2008 07:00

Hello,

You can take a look at this page and report back what you find out.

14.4K Posts

December 6th, 2008 07:00

First try to reseat the card. Sometime they look like they are in but not.

Second do Do you see any video at all, the dell splash screen for instance.  IF you do see the screen that means that the vga portion of the card is working. Try then booting into safe mode and reinstall the video driver.

14.4K Posts

December 6th, 2008 14:00

Since you dont mention which video card you have I cannot direct you to the appropriate driver section but I would suggest this

go HERE and obtain the program DriveSweeper. Install this program but do not run it at the moment. Make a shortcut to place on your desktop

Next go the web site for your make of video card and download the latest drivers. place that file also on you desktop for easy access.

Now boot into safemode. Open Control panel add/remove and find the listing for your video driver and uninstall it while in safe mode. Do not reboot at this time.

Now run the Drivesweeper program and select agian the appropriate video manufactor ie like either Nvidia or ATI and run the sweeper.

When you are done with this reboot the computer and see if it will boot into windows. IF it will then go ahead and install the driver file you placed on the desktop eariler. Reboot and see if the system boots up with good video.

IF after all of this you still cannot get it to work outside of Safe Mode it could be time to replace the video card.

1 Message

December 6th, 2008 14:00

I have the same problem but it lets me work in safe mode.

Am i going to have to buy a new video card?

4 Posts

December 7th, 2008 10:00

Thanks Dave 50,

I solved the problem following your instruction, then booted with Vista resue disk that temp. installed video drivers to boot in safe mode and corrct the problem.

I then updated my Bios driver and now the card is recognized, but is not funtional. In the device manager, I get this message:  "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I have tried re-enstalling the driver, updating, etc.  Still the same problem.  It is installed, but not usable.

Bill

14.4K Posts

December 7th, 2008 10:00

kimm110

Does appear that the card has a problem, If you can try it in another system else I think it should be replaced.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2008 19:00

Davet50   After a couple more days of trying to fix, I give up and agree with you.  Am returning to vender for replacement.  Thanks for the help. 

4 Posts

December 9th, 2008 19:00

Davet50,

No Events found!