New to Dell Community

Last reply by 03-28-2010 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Blue screen when installing Windows XP

A few days ago my computer started getting a blue screen and shutting off, at first it took about 20-30 minutes of computer usage for it to get the blue screen, but now sometimes the desktop won't even load before it gets the blue screen. I figured i would do a system restore to fix the problem. I hit Ctrl+F11 and did a system restore. When it was done and the computer was rebooting again, after the "windows" loading page was done the computer turned black so i restarted it and yet again I still have the blue screen pop up. I decided that I would reinstall windows xp with the cd, so i put it in and booted from cd. After the step "setup is loading files" and the "setup is starting windows"  starts, the computer turns into the blue screen again and besides instructions on what to do here is what it came up with:

STOP 0x00000050 (0xEB1F2AA8, 0x00000001, 0xF760B3CF, 0x00000000)

adpu 160m.sys - Address F760B3CF base at F75F7000, datestamp 3b14bade

Please help! It's driving me insane

Replies (15)
4 Beryllium

Sounds like you’re there, but something still doesn’t sound right?

Is there anything else ........before I can finally say that my problem has been fixed?

What’s original RAM spec? – e.g. 2 x 512MB (provides total RAM capacity of 1024MB)

Original RAM matched modules would have been located in 1(white) & 2(white) bays/slots?

Have you checked system reported installed & available memory capacity?

I have downloaded and installed all the drivers on the computer.....

If you managed driver download/install method then fine, it’s normally more of a challenge than using the Resource CD, but it does provide more updated drivers

Have you checked in Device manager, make sure no yellow question/exclamation marks?

I have just installed the internet software

Software CDs provided varies between Dell computer models – so what exactly is Internet software?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

1- My original RAM spec was 1g, 2 512mb ram sticks located in= SLot one (white) and slot two (white), I right clicked on computer > properties, and it says my current RAM capacity is 1gb, and stick one is in slot one (white) stick two in slot three (black, right next to stick one).

2-I have checked in the device manager and at first when i had JUST reinstalled Windows XP i checked this and there were many yellow question marks next to items, but now that I have done all the driver updates and stuff there are none and i have checked every section.

3-Sorry, I meant like installing my AT&T modem, you have to install a disk for it to work at first.

That is all!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Okay so I think I have found the main problem with what started it all, I believe it's because one of the RAM sticks is faulty or no longer functioning correctly. When I had the GOOD RAM stick on slot one (white) and BAD RAM stick on slot three (black,) Whenever i installed a program I always got an error from said program(s) that installation was not complete because of an error. I figured I would move BAD ram stick around to the other slots, and problem persisted, and with GOOD ram in white slot one, and BAD ram in white slot two, i got the before problem that windows could not start. I figured I would remove BAD ram stick completely, and I kept the GOOD ram stick in slot one (white). I proceeded to install the programs i had before any of this happened and to my surprise the programs were installed succesfully! I do believe the BAD ram stick is the one that is causing all this problems even though the system recognised me having two sticks (said i had 1gb available memory). I now have 512mb available memory since BAD ram stick is no longer inside my computer, and I kept the GOOD RAM stick in slot one white and system is back to normal. So the BAD ram stick was the problem after all, correct?

4 Beryllium

Hi again Kirogordito

As already explained by Bev (a.k.a. shesagordie) or should that be she is a “Geordie” now in sunny Texas?

If you reckon one of your 512MB RAM sticks is OK & works in slot 1(white)

Then only use that known good RAM stick (leaving the second suspect 512MB RAM stick removed)

Next, if not already done?

To eliminate bad connections in slot 2(white) you would move the known good RAM stick to slot 2(white) & check again that it still works (i.e. no system errors/problems)

If no problems then both 1(white) & 2(white) slot internal connections are also OK & confirms a busted RAM stick rather than faulty slot 2(white) connections

As you now know, slots layout numbering is 1, 3, 2 & 4 (bit like the firing order of a car engine!!!)

Obviously E510 system performance will be lower if using only 1 x 512MB RAM stick, so you need to consider purchasing new Dell compatible & matching RAM sticks

Bev is more than able to recommend RAM replacement options, spec/price etc.. for your E510 system

If not already done you can check performance using Task Manager & looking at Commit Charge ratio (it will depend on applications that are running) you may be running on high virtual memory (HDD paging or swap file) thereby providing enough memory but at slower/reduced performance

10 Diamond

As already explained by Bev (a.k.a. shesagordie) or should that be she is a “Geordie” now in sunny Texas?

BellBoy.

Yep, you are right, a Tynesider, via London to Texas and there is bright sunny 'Chamber of Commerce' weather here.  LOL     :emotion-11:

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

10 Diamond

Kirogordito

You can buy memory, with free S&H, that's certified to work in your 5150/E510, from HERE.

Bev

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor