Highlighted
stuggyduggy2
1 Copper

Re: Bluetooth Problem

Has anybody made further progress with this problem, as no posts for a few weeks now?

I have a Dell XPS 1330 laptop running Vista Home Premium 32bit which was purchased about three months ago. Ever since I’ve had the laptop, I’ve had ongoing problems with losing BT connectivity with an MS mouse & keyboard when the laptop comes out of sleep or hibernation mode. It is fitted with the internal Dell 355 plus EDR BT card.

After many calls to Dell Support with multiple driver reinstalls, two re-installations of the operating system & two replacement BT cards – I still have the Dell 355 plus EDR , the problem has reduced to an irritation  level. After the second BT card replacement, when the laptop comes out of sleep mode, there is a delay of about 35 seconds before the mouse works & there is an error - event ID 17 logged in the Event Viewer: “The local Bluetooth radio has failed in an undetermined manner and will be unloaded”. The event does not occur if the laptop comes out of hibernation mode. Occasionally the mouse will not resume operation & then I have to use the wireless on/ off switch to re-activate the BT card.

I’ve tried un-checking the "Allow Computer to shut of this device to save power” option but no help.

Hence it appears that the problem can be alleviated but not fully solved by changing the BT card – why it took two changes of BT card I do not know.

As a tangential & curious observation I have exactly the same problem – event 17 error on my Dell Dimension 8300 desktop running Windows XP SP2 which has an external Logitech BT dongle connected by USB. This problem emerged when I recently reinstalled the Logitech mouse & keyboard software package – I had been running with the Windows generic drivers with which I did not notice this problem.

For the laptop, I’m currently chewing over whether to wait for Vista SP2 due in 2Q which I understand will include some kind of BT upgrade to see if that will help before going back to Dell support.

0 Kudos
jrmr2006
1 Copper

Not sure this applies to all the Bluetooth problems in this thread, but here is a fix from Microsoft regarding a Vista vs Bluetooth issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929577

0 Kudos
stuggyduggy2
1 Copper

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried this Hotfix some time ago but it could not be installed on my laptop because as I remember it, SP2 installed on the laptop  supercedes or includes this Hotfix. I am still living with this problem. The current staus is that on about 1 in 3 occaisions the BT service fails on coimg out of hibernation. I restart by turning the radio services switch on the laptop off & then on again. I'm still hoping that Vista SP3 when it arrives will sort this.

The BTHUSB error does not appear to be a error wholly internal to the laptop because it does not occur if the BT mouse is not available i.e. it appears to be triggered by trying to re-connect with the mouse. I think I'll explore with a different BT mouse - I do have Logitech BT mouse connected to my desktop which runs XP SP3 with an external Logitech USB BT dongle However as noted earlier in my original reporting of this problem the desktop also reports the BTHUSB error on coming out of hibernation although the link to the mouse is re-established after 20-30 seconds without needing any external trigger.

0 Kudos
chirshey
1 Copper

As many others, I too have the intermittent Bluetooth problem.  I have noticed that some have contacted Dell directly and have not received a resolution to the problem.  That boggles my mind and am wondering what approach I should take in seeking a resolution.  Has anyone asked for a replacement unit or refund?  Has anyone received a committment from Dell that a "fix" for the problem is in the future for sure?  It just seems to me that a company like Dell should be able to resolve problems with their products in a timely manner.  I guess I will keep an eye on this thread and jump into the direct contact with Dell game.  Hopefully I will find the "secret handshake" or "magic ring" to get to a positive resolution.  I will check back here with any updates.

0 Kudos
stuggyduggy2
1 Copper

In response to Chirsehy's posting I also felt pretty annoyed at Dell that this problem could not be fully fixed on what was then their top-of the range laptop. My problem was alleviated but not fully solved after the second replacement of the BT card by Dell on-site service which I'm grateful to say I took when I purchased my laptop. There is hence strong anecdotal evidence that hardware is part of the issue. However having got BT working with only occasional failures to resume I found that the failure rate increased when I reinstalled certain software especially Nokia & HP AiO. I came close to sending the laptop back & requesting a refund but took the view that after the changes of BT card it was probably not a hardware fault although it might be a design fault with Dell’s 355 BT card.

My view is that this is an partially at least an operating system problem – since I have a very similar but less irritating problem on my XP SP2 desktop.  I guess it is something to do with the way that PCs come out or hibernation & the Windows services & peripheral devices are powered up. As the fault on my Vista laptop only occurs when there is a BT mouse to connect with I speculate as a non-expert in Windows that on occasions the BT card is trying to re-establish a connection with the mouse before the BT Windows service e is fully operational & there is an error reported which in the case of my Vista laptop terminates the BT service.

BTW I put the same posting on a  MS Windows Vista forum but have received absolutely no response which tells me that the army of Windows experts out there don’t have a solution to this.

0 Kudos
chirshey
1 Copper

Well,  I started the quest with Dell Support and in the 2nd reply from them I was instructed to install the following.  I did and so far so good.  I don't know what the second program is but it left an icon of a lock in my system tray.

Will see what happen down the road.

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R140135.exe

http://ftp.us.dell.com/input/R181505.zip

0 Kudos
stuggyduggy2
1 Copper

R140135 is the cuurent BT driver set which I believe I have had installed since my first call to Dell Suport.

R181505 is described as the Logitech Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse bundle. As I have a Microsoft BT mouse which apopears to find its own drivers I assume that this bundle will not be of any use on my laptop.

However useful to know if these fully solve the problem after a couple of weeks experience..

0 Kudos
chirshey
1 Copper

As an update.......  I was directed to reinstall my operating system Monday and to date things have been good.  I did wipe my system clean (C&D drives) and then installed the OS and only the necessary drivers and none of the Dell or preinstalled programs.  Guess we'll just wait and see now.....

0 Kudos
chirshey
1 Copper

The hope is gone.  After four days the problem has returned.  I can only surmise at this point that it is a hardware problem and don't know if I want to head down that path with Dell.  I've heard the 355 Bluetooth is not too good.and I think getting it replaced with a better unit from Dell will take one heck of a fight and way too much time and effort.  Might just bite the bullet and op for a USB mouse.  I am going to reply to Dell once more, just to let them know the results.

0 Kudos
stuggyduggy2
1 Copper

You appear to be going down a  near identical path to me - had the op. sytstem  renstalled twice & two replacements of the 355 card . I was fortunate that  I'd taken out the 3y on-site service so the hardware replacements were not a big problem. I would be interested to know if a change to a different BT card solves the problem. I note that Dell now offer the 370 card on current laptops. The 355 card has been around some time - at least 3y so should be OK - I'm sure Dell would have changed to a different card on service calls if they thought there was any reasonable prospect that  it would work better with Vista. It would be interesting to know if anybody who has had a serious incidence of this problem has achieved a 100% solution. I'm still hoping that Vista SP2 which should be out shortly will sort out the residue of this problem on my laptop.

0 Kudos