Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2009 11:00

Community Site Update - Jan 6

Now blogs and forums are easier to read. Based on user feedback, Dell team increased the font size of forum posts and blog post/comments. We are still getting reports of users getting error messages when trying to post on forums, this is not being ignored, we are going thru multiple patches to eradicate the problem. We are not 100% done, but working to fix the errors as identified. Thank you for your continued patience and feedback.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 6th, 2009 13:00

Now blogs and forums are easier to read. Based on user feedback, Dell team increased the font size of forum posts and blog post/comments. We are still getting reports of users getting error messages when trying to post on forums, this is not being ignored, we are going thru multiple patches to eradicate the problem. We are not 100% done, but working to fix the errors as identified. Thank you for your continued patience and feedback. 

And how about addressing this continuing infamous, day after day, never ceasing, problem: 

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

Bev.

Ps. It only took ten attempts to post this.

2.9K Posts

January 6th, 2009 13:00

Yep - MUCH easier to read - Light gray text on a white background. Did this brilliant idea come from the same individual who wrote the "posting" code?

14.4K Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

Again more Fluff and no substance.

It is high time That the Most recurrent and problematic problem be given the highest priority. There is no excuse in not being able to suscessfully post without issues, after 2 months of being online. 

Ok had my rant.

the font size is good not all that crazy about the font style

3rd attempt

2.9K Posts

Thank you Sean.

2nd attempt !

16 Posts

Rebel9

The light grey font on forums is an error. My mistake. It will be corrected.

2.5K Posts

January 6th, 2009 17:00

I, for one, prefer the old font size.  Now, I have to scroll left-to-right and up-and-down to read the messages - what a pain!

Is there a way to change to font size manually?  The Font Size setting in my user profile's Site Options does NOT work!

193 Posts

January 6th, 2009 23:00

What's the status on some of the more severe problems in Dell Community?

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/tutorials/bugs-in-dell-community-wiki.aspx

23 Posts

January 7th, 2009 05:00

I think the new formatting for the text is very good. As a former Graphics Designer it's nice to see text laid out so that everyone can read it. Often times text is laid out by young folks who's vision is still very good, forgetting that not everyone can see as well as they do. One finds a lot of this problem on business cards too.

Thanks for the change. Looking forward for more site improvements. :emotion-1:

VonCarlos

16 Posts

January 7th, 2009 08:00

Esquire

One approach people use is to set preferences in their browser.  In Firefox 3, it’s under View>Zoom. Select Text Only to limit the view. In IE, it’s under View>Text Size

Let me check into the problem of the site options not working in the dell community site.

7 Posts

January 7th, 2009 13:00

Is anyone addressing the functionality of the search?

Why did this forum go so far backward with the lack of advanced search?  To me, and for many users, the advanced search was a great way to reduce the huge number of answers generated when looking for solutions.  Also, it was very helpful to have many items on one page where you could browse the topics without having to slog through the entire post.

I know that Dell doesn't care, but I won't be buying any more of their products.  I was hoping that Dell would respond to this abomination with some real fixes but we keep on getting the same attitude that Dell is right and the customer is wrong--a great way for a consumer oriented business to become irrelevant.

DC

1.3K Posts

January 7th, 2009 14:00

I am having a problem getting into this forum with a computer running Windows XP SP3. I have tried many, many things no go. My other computer running Vista  is not having any problems. 

I am looking for a few answers to this problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

A bit more rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, isn't it?

11 Posts

Bev,

I have been wondering about this too.  I would like to post my picture (My Wheaten Terrier's picture actually, as he is much cuter looking than me.  However, everytime I try to edit my bio or change the default picture, a screen pops up with this so-helpful message:

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

Is there some secret code that I am supposed to know about in order to edit my profile/picture?

Craig

2.9K Posts

January 7th, 2009 15:00

Hi osprey4,

"A bit more rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, isn't it?"

No - I don't think they're even doing that. It's amazing how many of the senior posters have abandoned the ship isn't it? It's really sad to see how Dell has let this once very useful tool degenerate into the state it is today. But perhaps if these forums are no longer useful, then users will be forced to adopt Dell's "pay for support" model. But hey - the site does look pretty doesn't it? Oh - have I said that before? Now let's see how many attempts it takes to post this!

OK - scratch the first attempt (but it's at the TOP OF THE LIST - apparently for two months now - of "problems" that need to be addressed!)

2.2K Posts

January 7th, 2009 15:00

Well, yeah, the font size may be bigger, but that has casued the problem of the page not fitting on the monitor so it now requires scrolling to the right.

There is enough blank / wasted space on the left column that this should not be an issue. Yes, it is minor compared to the posting problems, but an issue nonetheless.

I certainly don't want anyome thinking the small changes made things all better. They created another problem.

No Events found!