Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 00:00

D946 all in one printer

I have one of the above printers - love it to bits - or I did !

It has started printing blocks of black ink where the text should be when printing, coying etc, test prints etc.

I think I need to reset it to factory defaults - does anyone know how. It started doing it after printing an email.

many thanks

neil Dickinson

8 Posts

November 9th, 2009 07:00

thanks for the reply, the cartridges have been replaced since the printer went wonky, I have downloaded the latest driver and update, and also firmware update, will check them out and let you know.

thanks for the reply.

Neil

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 07:00

Neil,

You are using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges, correct?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 10:00

Neil,

If you have problems, please post back.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 10th, 2009 10:00

Neil,

I'd like to know how thing went. Could you please post back here as I can help you.

Rick

8 Posts

November 11th, 2009 00:00

Hi Rick

the printer in question belongs to a friend of mine who asked me look at it, she tells me that she replaced the cartridges with "real" Dell carts, but still the problem persists, I am due to visit her home on Thursday evening (UK time) I am going to try and install the latest drivers and the patch to the driver, is it a good idea to update the printer firmware? Do you have any other ideas?

thanks

Neil

8 Posts

November 11th, 2009 03:00

I looked at the printer on Sunday evening, all works fine apart from the black boxes around the text, prints a test print from the pc and from its own controls, prints the colours but where the black text is supposed to be is all enclosed in a black box, cartridges have been changed very recently - but not sure until I go wether Dell or other cartridges were used.

I am pretty sure that the firmware has not been updated.

the printer turns on fine

the black boxes print in printing mode and copying mode.

Neil

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2009 03:00

Neil,

Can you turn on the printer and copy a document?

Can you ask the owner, if she updated the firmware in the printer? It's very important to find this out.

Does this printer turn on at all?

Does it sit there and beep?

If you could ask the owner and then post back with the answers as they are very important to some of us at this time.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2009 05:00

Neil,

Follow these instructions below and then tell me what happens.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista computers) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

XP & Vista 64-bit Drivers.

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on). 

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Also try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

8 Posts

November 13th, 2009 11:00

Hi Rick, I have just installed the drivers, and the firmware - no joy, the blocks of ink still persist, I have two scanned images I can send you if you think fit, one is the test print and one the head alignment sheet.

Neil 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2009 13:00

Neil,

If you want, you can click on my blinking PudgyOne and it will take you to ImageShack. You and upload the image there, then copy and paste the direct link back here so I can see your images.

I'm pretty sure you didn't install the firmware as my suspicions are that it makes the printer beep and non responsive. Please do not try flashing the firmware. I am currently working with some people from Dell trying to help resolve the firmware issue.

Rick

8 Posts

November 15th, 2009 08:00

Hi Rick, these are the images from the printer, I did flash the printer with the firmware and it did beep and turn off, but came back to life.

Neil

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Neil,

With the power on, open the printer and take out the black Dell Series 5 ink cartrides. Examine it and clean it off. Also look in the printer where you removed it, you may have to try to clean in there, too. Make sure, while the cartridge is out, that it's a Dell Series 5. Also ask her if it was refilled. If so, that's not good.

I'd also do the same for the color cartridge and make sure everything looks good. When you close the printer, it will print another alignment page.

My guess is that the cartridge is bad and needs replaced. If new, take to the place of purchase for replacement. If the cartridge has been refilled or a non-Dell Brand, then this couls also be the problem.

Rick

8 Posts

Hi Rick

I think this is the link you are looking for

http://img697.imageshack.us/g/testprint.jpg/

8 Posts

November 16th, 2009 03:00

Hi Rick

will get hold of the printer this evening.

the black cartridge had been changed as soon as the problem showed itself (useing a Dell branded cartridge). I will clean the unit as soon as possible, but I must admit I do not think that is the problem, looking at the test print all the text is being printed (black and colour) but it is being overlaid with a very systematic black block of ink.

Neil

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 16th, 2009 04:00

Neil,

I know something I never saw before. Also check to see if the encoder strip is in place.

Rick

Clean the Encoder Strip

Additional Information
Notice:  
  As you perform the following steps, be careful when handling the encoder strip as it can break easily.  

It is possible that dust can gather on the encoder strip which will make it very difficult for the printer to determine where the carriage is on its track. To clean the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the printer and unplug the power.
  2. Lift the cover on the printer.
  3. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the right-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it toward the right-hand side of the printer (Figure 1).

Figure 1: The Encoder Strip to the right of the cartridge carrier

Note:  
      The encoder strip is a narrow band of clear plastic and can be difficult to see without direct lighting.  
  4. Plug in the printer and power it on.
  5. Open the cover to allow the cartridge carriage to center itself.
  6. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the left-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it towards the left-hand side of the printer. (Figure 2).

Figure 2: The encoder strip to the left of the cartridge carrier

No Events found!