Re: D946 all in one printer

Neil,

If you want, you can click on my blinking PudgyOne and it will take you to ImageShack. You and upload the image there, then copy and paste the direct link back here so I can see your images.

I'm pretty sure you didn't install the firmware as my suspicions are that it makes the printer beep and non responsive. Please do not try flashing the firmware. I am currently working with some people from Dell trying to help resolve the firmware issue.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
nsd
1 Copper

Hi Rick, these are the images from the printer, I did flash the printer with the firmware and it did beep and turn off, but came back to life.

Neil

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

0 Kudos
nsd
1 Copper

Hi Rick

I think this is the link you are looking for

http://img697.imageshack.us/g/testprint.jpg/

0 Kudos

Neil,

With the power on, open the printer and take out the black Dell Series 5 ink cartrides. Examine it and clean it off. Also look in the printer where you removed it, you may have to try to clean in there, too. Make sure, while the cartridge is out, that it's a Dell Series 5. Also ask her if it was refilled. If so, that's not good.

I'd also do the same for the color cartridge and make sure everything looks good. When you close the printer, it will print another alignment page.

My guess is that the cartridge is bad and needs replaced. If new, take to the place of purchase for replacement. If the cartridge has been refilled or a non-Dell Brand, then this couls also be the problem.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
nsd
1 Copper

Hi Rick

will get hold of the printer this evening.

the black cartridge had been changed as soon as the problem showed itself (useing a Dell branded cartridge). I will clean the unit as soon as possible, but I must admit I do not think that is the problem, looking at the test print all the text is being printed (black and colour) but it is being overlaid with a very systematic black block of ink.

Neil

0 Kudos

Neil,

I know something I never saw before. Also check to see if the encoder strip is in place.

Rick

Clean the Encoder Strip

Additional Information
Notice:  
  As you perform the following steps, be careful when handling the encoder strip as it can break easily.  

It is possible that dust can gather on the encoder strip which will make it very difficult for the printer to determine where the carriage is on its track. To clean the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the printer and unplug the power.
  2. Lift the cover on the printer.
  3. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the right-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it toward the right-hand side of the printer (Figure 1).

Figure 1: The Encoder Strip to the right of the cartridge carrier

Note:  
      The encoder strip is a narrow band of clear plastic and can be difficult to see without direct lighting.  
  4. Plug in the printer and power it on.
  5. Open the cover to allow the cartridge carriage to center itself.
  6. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the left-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it towards the left-hand side of the printer. (Figure 2).

Figure 2: The encoder strip to the left of the cartridge carrier

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos