Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

QM

November 25th, 2008 13:00

DELL Restore

Hi Everyone, :emotion-2: new to group and have a question, I am running Vista home premium on Dell Inspiron 530, I recently installed trial version of “Folder Lock” as a form of file protection, you are asked what size storage you require and foolishly I hit 30.5GB, I now find that you cannot reduce this size and what is more important you cannot un-install “Folder Lock” If I use DELL Restore (this is the one that returns computer to the state it was in when purchased but of course deletes all files etc) will this remove “Folder Lock” it is a drastic step. Any suggestions??

3.4K Posts

November 25th, 2008 19:00

Hello,

If you use restore, it is supposed to make the system just as the first day you turned it on.

If the folder lock did not change partition information you should be good to go. But, I suggest you contact the maker and ask first. The web site lists, Life-time priority customer support.

November 27th, 2008 15:00

The removal info that I received from Folder Lock was as follows

1) Once the Locker has been created you can not decrease the size of your locker.

2) For uninstalling Folder Lock 6 completely from your computer please follow the below procedure.

Please try this, run registry by typing 'regedit' after clicking Start button in Windows and then click Run. Then delete this string value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > FolderLock6 > LastLockerPath

Once you are done, try uninstalling from Start menu > Programs > Folder Lock

and then select uninstall.

what I do not understand is how to delete the “String Value” do I just highlight the complete line and hit DELETE? Or do I just delete [software-FolderLock6-LastLockerPath] and leave HKEY-CURRENT-USER

I thought it would be easier to do Dell Restore, as I am a bit wary of changing anything in the registry, but if it is not going to work then there would be no point.

3.4K Posts

November 27th, 2008 16:00

Hello again,

What they are suggesting is to delete the key LastLockerPath.

Highlight the name of the key, "LastLockerPath" and press delete. I do, so much like their use of the word "try". Let us know how it goes, and tell us the company that created this program. I will avoid anything they produce in the future. :emotion-41:

November 28th, 2008 16:00

I did try that + deleted "FolderLock6" but it did not work,  

The company is http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/ but they say it is a highly sophisticated program, I just think for a trial version the options should be in favour of the user or at least a warning given, they have sent another method for me to TRY

Please try this, run registry by typing 'regedit' after clicking Start button in Windows and then click Run. Then delete this string value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > FolderLock6 > EXEPATH

Once you’redone, try to install Folder Lock 6. That will surely help you.

Trouble is I can't get further than "FolderLock6"  EXEPATH does not show at all, and they did not say if changes would have been made to partition information I may have to give Dell Restore a go and see what happens.

3.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 17:00

Hello again,

It looks as thou this folderlock program does all it's magic in the Windows registry.

I do not think partition information was changed. In any event give the Dell restore a 'try'. :emotion-2:

Backup any information on the system to an outside source first.

November 28th, 2008 20:00

Thanks that is that first step forward that has been made, I do think that it would be the safest for me, I will do as you sugest and let you know the results, just one thing, is it possible to save the programs that you have on the start menu window and in "all programs" or will I have to install them individually after restore? 

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 06:00

Thanks that is that first step forward that has been made, I do think that it would be the safest for me, I will do as you sugest and let you know the results, just one thing, is it possible to save the programs that you have on the start menu window and in "all programs" or will I have to install them individually after restore? 

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.

But, actual programs can 'not' just be copied to another system. Since you have already been in the Windows registry you are now in the few 5% of computer users that even know about it. And as such you will understand that when a program is installed many registry entries are created along with files and folders that prevent a simple copy of the programs. Understanding that, you can copy and move data and files created by programs that can be pasted into a program once it has been installed on the system. The type, and locations of these files and data differ with each program, and each program must be researched to see where and what to move.

If the restore works correctly, all programs and files that were installed by Dell at the factory will be on the system. In fact, your system should be just as it was when you first turned it on new. Make sure that you visit the Microsoft update site right away and let it install everything it says that your system requires. All programs that were installed since you bought the system will need to be installed, assuming that you still have the program media to do so.

If I can be of any further help, just ask.

November 29th, 2008 16:00

OK it is as I thought in that I will have to enter again all the programs that I have added,  I must now make copies etc and prepare for the restore it may take me a few days, will be back when finished,  Many Thanks for your advice.:emotion-21:

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 16:00

You're welcome,

Ask again if you have any other questions. :emotion-15:

November 29th, 2008 17:00

Dell's factory image restore just doesn't work for the 530 Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  I have been trying for days to get it to work.  I have tried both methods Dell recommends.  At least one other poster has had the same problem.  The DOS commands comes back as not recognizable.   I have been able to restore using system restore.  See my other postings. 

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 17:00

Hey, where did you come from? :emotion-3:

I don't think that the OP has that version of Windows.

November 29th, 2008 20:00

I meant the Inspiron 530 Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  Someone is trying to help me get the Dell Factory Image Restore to Work.  Stay tuned.  

November 30th, 2008 17:00

Hi Thereal-dbk4297 Well I took the Bull by the horns and had another try from the register, it really was a matter of persistence, being shunted from one window and back again a few times makes you doubt your capability but I eventually had a win and did not have to resort to DELL RESTORE but it is nice to know that it is available if you get really stuck, and metamorphosis I have the 32 bit version. So once again thanks for your help:emotion-2: 

3.4K Posts

November 30th, 2008 18:00

qwerty malone,

Very good, and glad you got it all worked out in 'your' favor.

BTW, Do you know of a good encryption program to secure my files? :emotion-40:

December 1st, 2008 11:00

I think it depends on how secure you want it, I just wanted to keep other users on this computer out,  FolderLock (the one I had all the trouble with) is good but expensive from about $50US up to a few hundreds and they do have good back up,but beware of the folder size trap that I fell into,  The one I settled for in the end was Folder Vault   [just google it for home page and d/l]   the basic was only $14.95US and will do all I want of it, but again it has a few traps for those that don't read the instructions [me] the stealth button hides it completly and unless you know how to get it back you are in the poo, but they have a help forum, lucky for me again, both have trial versions.

BTW I see FolderLock is recommended or used by DELL ??    Best of luck   they both hide and/or encrypt.

No Events found!