Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2009 08:00

DVD burner issues

I have a Dell Dimension 9150/XPS400. I'm having failure issues with my DVD burner (DVD/RW Drive) not working. When I try to burn or copy a disc CD or DVD, the drive doesn't recognize the media. I've tried several brands of media DVD-R, DVD/RW, CD-R etc. I've downloaded updated drivers, firmware, but nothing is working. The DVD/RW drive will not play DVD movies, but it will play music CD's.

Any suggestions other than replacing the drive. Any recommendations on what DVD+-RW Internal drive to replace it with?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 19th, 2009 09:00

I've downloaded updated drivers

What drivers did you download?  The ONLY drivers for CD/DVD drives is the built in default Windows drivers.  There are NO 3rd party drivers.

Uninstall the drive in the Device Manager then restart the PC and Windows will detect and reinstall the drive.

There are many good CD/DVD burner drives available and many under $30.  Check out the drives at www.newegg.com  (where I buy most of my PC parts).  I have several Samsung (TSST) PATA CD/DVD burner drives and they work well.

The Dell manual isn't 100% clear on what type of interface you have on the Optical Drives but it looks like it's PATA (IDE).  If you decide to replace it, open up the case and look at it to determine the type.  If it has a wide "ribbon" data cable then it's a PATA drive.  If it is a PATA type you will also need to set the device type jumper to Cable Select (not master or slave).  If you only have one drive, consider installing a second drive (you can get two of the same type) and then you will be able to do a disc to disc copy from one drive to the other.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2009 10:00

I just hit the update drivers from the properties of the drive. I did the uninstall from Device Manager, but that didn't help, but thanks for the advice. Are you familiar with Plexar brand DVD/RW drives? I saw where they were about $40 on Newegg.com, but they were for a SATA interface.

Thanks again

59 Posts

June 19th, 2009 11:00

Did you check for any obstruction in the DVD drive?  Were you able to play any dvds and cds before the player indicated a malfunction?  One common cause for malfunction is a trapped disc in the player. Since it will not play dvds you should reinstall the original dvd software application. Place any application software in the drive to verify it can detect software.  If it can detect software then you must reinstall the application software. If not, the drive should be replaced. Check that you have downloaded the right drivers for your model from Dell. If the computer is under warranty, contact Dell technical support on live chat.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 19th, 2009 12:00

The user stated it will play CD's so there is not an obstruction or mechanical issue with the drive. And, since it won't recognize DVD's and not even getting to the DVD player software it would also rule that out.

Since the uninstall/reinstall didn't help, I would suspect a bad drive.  With the age of the PC, unless you have an extended warranty it's doubtful that it's still in warranty. 

I've never used Plexor drives so I can't comment on them.  Verify by physically looking at the rear of the drive, but it looks like you need a PATA (IDE) drive.

No Events found!