Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2013 17:00

Dell dimension 9100 not starting

My dell dimension 9100 is not starting, the power button is blinking orange. When I do try to turn on the system I hear the fans, or the 4 lights up and I hear the fans than it shuts down after a minute or less. Please help...

7 Posts

March 15th, 2013 20:00

Thank you for helping, but I am Done with dell I think I'm going to buy a new computer. The dell has a lit 4 and other times it has a 2 & 3 blinking amber. I opened the computer and I think it might be a bad capacitor their is one with brown stuff on it, so I think it's the capacitor, is their any way to fix it ?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2013 21:00

lucaswas

It is not just Dell's computers that has suffered bad capacitors, all the OEM manufacturers also have the same issues,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The only way to fix a capacitor, is the either replaced it, or install a replacement motherboard.

http://www.thecapking.com/

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=2

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 14th, 2013 20:00

lucaswas

Are any of the four diagnostic lights, located on the front panel lite?

A blinking power button amber LED usually indicates a failed/failing power supply, try installing a 'known' working unit and see if this makes a difference.

The 9100 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and a minimum of two SATA power connectors, can be installed.

As the 9100 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a suitable power supply from a local, or online computer store.

Bev.

7 Posts

March 16th, 2013 08:00

Is their any way chance that my computer will start again, and do you recommend a computer company I should buy from. I only look at ASUS computers. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 16th, 2013 09:00

lucaswas

If your Dimension 9100 is repaired, yes, it will work, but the downside is, it's age and used working 9100's can be purchased for around $100/150

Dell is still one of the better of the PC OEM manufacturers.

Several years ago I went back to building my own desktops again, as this gives me control on which quality components to purchase and install, but the downside to this, you are your own Technical Support etc,.

Bev.

7 Posts

March 16th, 2013 10:00

I am not going to repair my dell dimension 9100, instead I might buy an ASUS, I am looking at their transformer AIO. I am also looking into building my own PC, but I would need a touch screen monitor because of windows 8. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 16th, 2013 11:00

lucaswas

I'm using Windows 8 Professional with a non-touch screen monitor without any issues.

Also, using a Win 8 system with a touch screen, but find using the mouse is quicker.

Bev.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2013 10:00

Would it be cheaper to build my own PC or buy one.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 17th, 2013 13:00

lucaswas

The cost depends on the system's configuration, but probably a OEM system would cost less.

Bev.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2013 13:00

Ok, is their anyway to my files off the old hard drive?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 17th, 2013 18:00

lucaswas

One of the easiest procedures for recovering the files and folders, is to remove the failed hard drive from the computer and use an USB 2.0 adaptor similar to THIS, then attach the hard drive to the USB port on the working computer and see if you transfer the files and folders to it.

Note: Only data files and folders can be transfered, any applications, utlities and programs, need to be reinstalled from their CD's, or downloaded from the publisher's website.

Bev.

7 Posts

March 19th, 2013 14:00

Ok thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 19th, 2013 15:00

lucaswas

You are welcome.

Bev.

No Events found!