Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2009 15:00

Dimension 4600

When I connected my I-Pod in one of the front USB ports, the screen monitor went black and the cursor started blinking. When I rebooted the system, it went as far as  the windows xp logo, then the screen went black again. I have tried unsuccesfully to reboot the system several occassions. The safe mode does not work. When I tried to bring the system through the safae mode, VGA mode, or last good configuration, the screen goes black and the keyboard stops working. Additionally, when I put, a CD in the CD-ROM drive, the green light blinks for a few seconds, then stops, and nothing happens. Can someone please tell me what seems to be wrong with the system and what I need to do to fix it. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 4th, 2009 16:00

I assume you disconnected the iPod and didn't leave it connected. 

You will have to boot with the Windows XP CD (you may have to temporarily change the boot sequence in the BIOS or in some systems you can press F12 to boot from a CD drive).  You will then have to run Windows XP "Repair".  HERE is the Microsoft Repair procedure.

I can't say exactly what happened.  The front ports should have enough power for an iPod.  Have you connected it before?

No Events found!