Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2008 09:00

Dimension 8400 plesae help

I am at my wits end trying to reslove a problem, think I will just buy a new lap top and give up with this Dell Desktop.

I am having difficulty installing new software and hardware.  If I install new items ie scanner/printer etc everything loads up okay when i connect the new item via the usb my system recognises the new hardware and the wizard start to look for it and cannot find anything ??

Any help would be very much appreciated as I cannot use the ipod, camera, printers or any other items I have.  It is so frustrating as is the weather hear in Bonny Scotland.

3.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 09:00

Hello,

It might be a problem with the hub.

Have you tried connecting without using the hub?

3.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 19:00

Hello,

Misread or edited, but I don't see the word hub now. :emotion-40:

4.6K Posts

November 28th, 2008 19:00

It might be a problem with the hub.

Have you tried connecting without using the hub?

What "hub" are you referring to? 

The OP hasn't mentioned using an external USB hub - which is what I assume you mean, when you say "without using the hub"?

Welcome to the forums HazeyG :emotion-5:

I assume you're remembering to install the drivers before connecting any USB device?

Have you tried all the USB ports in your system? 

Have you tried updating/reinstalling your motherboard's chipset drivers?

Have you tried installing the drivers after booting into Safe Mode?

OT:  What part of Bonnie Scotland are you from? 

Although I now live in Chester, I'm from a small fishing village called St Cyrus myself, which is situated on the north east coast, smack-bang between Aberdeen and Dundee on the old A92 coast road :emotion-11:

I still go back home at least twice a year... usually in the summer, and always for Hogmanay & New Year.  Wouldn't want to miss that, eh :emotion-2:

2 Posts

November 29th, 2008 03:00

Many thanks for your kind responsed, this is the first time I have ventured into a forum - let alone one about computers as I am a little dumb in that area.

I only have one usb that seems to work - which my mouse is attached to - you mention updating/reinstalling motherboard's chepset drivers !! - came over in a cold sweat I really am not great with computers - would this be a difficult task.  My husband is even worse with computers he still thinks a mouse is a wee timerous beasty who scampers about sniffing out cheese.

I come from Grangemouth (bang in the centre of Glasgow and Edinburgh - 20 minutes to travel to both - 15 minutes from Stirling)  certainly would not have the lovely clean air of St Cyrus as their is a hugh BP complex in Grangemouth. 

Thanks for your help and any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.  However - I have had this computer for 3 years and as I am so fearful about mucking about with it and extremely ignorant to computers I am tempted to just buy a new laptop - what would recommend - I really only use computer for internet and occasional downloads of photographs and general letters etc etc.

Thanks - you will be looking forward to Ne'erdy then !!!

No Events found!