Highlighted
lynx55
1 Copper

Display Driver Stops Responding (main problem)

Vostro 220s Desktop - Vista Home Premium 32 bit 3gig

I have this display driver problem that I can only refer to as "pixelating out" . The screen begins to form black pixels until it is almost completely black, then goes blank, comes back on with a notice that says " Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" . It does this a few times a day. Seems to do it more so when I am actually working on the desktop. Once , only once, I received a notice to correct my display settings, which I did. It still does it.I have tried to update the driver to no avail. and have reinstalled the driver from Dell's Download Center, also to no avail. 

I should also add a couple more things. When running Firefox OR IE, it tends to freeze up, "busy" but then comes back in a few minutes. My XP never did this, so it seems abnormal to me. I run Avira antivirus, Windows Defender. WinMedia Center or Player, nothing real abnormal, except maybe WindowBlinds.And I know plenty of Vista users who also do.

Also I am disabled, homebound, and have a very difficult , if not impossible time, functioning trying to do anything outside my wheelchair or liftchair. On good days, I may be able to do simple computer "hands on" repair or modificatrion, but only with help. So please bear that in mind with your answers please.

I did not purchase this computer for myself. A very gracious wonderful friend did, and she did not order a media reader on it. I have since purchased one, but need to know if I pr a friend can install it, or if it needs to be installed by a certified Dell Service Center to avoid damaging the warranty?

Any help would be gratefully received.

0 Kudos