Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2012 23:00

EXTREMELY terrible tech support

Hi,

i am thoroughly  <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> and angry at the 'support' a representative gave me and would like to reflect the anger and dissatisfaction so that such terrible support will HOPEFULLY not happen again. Likewise, if possible, be directed to a feedback forum where such a response is more appropriate.

I contacted tech support regarding getting a new ac adapter because mine stopped working today; the lights on the transformer box didn't work even after trying many different wall outlets. Since my dell XPS laptop is my primary computer where I do all my work on, I was desperate in asking for a new ac adapter; I can't use my computer otherwise (battery limit of 2 hours). I thought my warranty, which had not yet expired, should have covered a replacement ac adapter as my friend had done so a while ago. However, I got conflicting responses from the representative saying that this was NOT COVERED. I questioned it and asked the representative if he could check but he only confirmed with me that IT WAS NOT COVERED. I even asked if such information could be found online because I really REALLY doubted it. He told me he did not know where.

In the end, after much delay, as I was in a rush, I agreed in purchasing a new ac adapter. However, he didn't let up there. He tried to convince me to buy a new battery because apparently, Dell batteries after 1 year tend to fail and leak MAGICAL LIQUID into my motherboard, ultimately destroying it, which would cost over $200 to replace.

At this point, I was very annoyed and displeased as clearly, such information was false (I'm an Electrical Engineer and Computer Science major at UC Berkeley) If this was true, there is honestly something very very very messed up with the batteries Dell provide, which would imply very poor quality computers produced by Dell. I hope such a point is not true.

In the end, I quickly purchased a $71 ac adapter replacement for my laptop, the exact cost on the website and ended my 'technical' phone call because I had to leave.

However, I was not convinced. Later in the evening, I searched online for details of what exactly my warranty covered. However, everything I found was very vague. But, I landed upon a forum post asking the exact question I had (http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/new-to-community/f/3511/p/19335476/20089714.aspx#20089714). A representative had responded with, "Sorry you are having problems with your power adapter, in the USA the power adapter is covered for the same amount of time as the computer. " I immediately contacted dell support again asking whether or not ac adapters were covered by warranty. This time, the person said yes, agreeing with the forum post. She kindly made sure my ac adapter was broken by telling me to start the bios screen on my laptop before ordering a replacement one for me.

Although this encounter went well, now, I have to cancel my $71 ac adapter order that was unnecessary along with 2+ wasted hours searching for information on dell's website and trying to figure out what was true and what wasn't. Hopefully, canceling an order won't take over an hour on the phone this time. Likewise, if the adapter gets shipped, I have to go through the trouble of mailing it back. Awesome

Again, I am THOROUGHLY DISPLEASED AND ANGRY. Not only did I get wrong information, I was marketed at; your representative tried to get me to spend as much money as possible instead of actually trying to help. (He tried to get me to buy a 9-cell battery, only later saying there was a cheaper 6-cell version. I know the difference) Whether or not this is a issue with the quality of Dell's components is a different story; I expect technical support to be about support, not advertising.

I hope this will not happen again as it clearly reflects internal disorganization and lack of professionalism.

Already, I am questioning whether I bought the right brand for a computer.

Thank you.

9.4K Posts

April 17th, 2012 10:00

Hi Cong Chen,

Sorry you are having problems with your computer.  I may be able to assist.  Please contact me privately by clicking on my name in blue, then on the next page, click the envelope icon that says "start conversation", and send me your information.  Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

ref  21333703

3 Posts

April 18th, 2012 23:00

Hi Robert,

Thank you for following up with me and helping me figure stuff out; it's greatly appreciated.

I feel like I may have overreacted, as it was simply only one person's bad service. Sadly, people tend to react as such. However, the follow-up services were quite speedy and straightforward and much easier than expected. Thank you for that.

I look forward to more speedy and straightforward such support :)

Bests,

Cong Chen

1 Message

April 19th, 2012 07:00

Dear buyer

Unfortunately you've choosen a wrong brand, they charging a fortune with no quality products and services. I used to work for Dell in Europe and know it from inside how it works, as they opening offices in "third world" countries(they close the office in Germany, open in Slovakia and planning to open it in Romania!!!) to save money, hiring unprofessional people and firing good ones, for example, slovakian customer care guys charged with a bank robbery(7 month's ago) and fired after Police have arrest them????Slovakian managers hiring friends, girlfriends with no knowledge at all. You better go with Toshiba(in fact they're first producer of laptops) or Samsung, you'll get better price and better quality.

Regards

1 Message

April 21st, 2012 20:00

Unfortunately your experience  is NOT the exception.  I called for a fairly new PC that crashed.  I wasted over an hours of cell phone minutes with guyr who was less than helpfull.  He kept insisting it had to be a virus and not the compute.  Said h.e had to check something and would call me back.  But not the next day because he didn't work.  He said he would call me back at 13:0  0 to 13:30, my time, since I was working nights that day I got up HOURS early and sat infront of my computer until 15 til 2. (He finally called me back when I was in the shower and said someone would call me back in two more days)

I finally drove it 50 miles to a PC repair shop.  First thing he did was run a Fn diagnostic on it and found out the hard drive was bad.  I got a hold of Dell who did send me a new hard drive and wanted me to play tag with their tech to install it.  I took it back to the place I drove to and they installed it.  I  out $50 and gas money and now I find that neither of my Bluetooth mice will connect!  I am afaird to call Dell at this point for fear of being jerked around AGAIN!!!  And to think I wasted money on a service contract.!!!

Net PC will be an HP.

No Events found!