Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2011 14:00

Error Code 0F00:136C - doesn't mean a dead hard drive!

Regarding my Diminsion E510 ...lthough the Dell forums on this error code 0F00:136C indicate a failed hard drive AND Dell's technical support people also diagnosed the error code as a failed hard drive, it wasn't. Furthermore, the tech support people were only interested in selling me a new hard drive, not advising me on how to try to retrieve my data.  My advice: If you get this dreaded error code, don't assume that all is lost. Get a 2nd and 3rd opinion.  It was in my case a nasty virus in the master boot record. I took the computer to a local computer repair company and had my PC back up and running with no files lost in a week.   For reference, the aforementioned error code - if you get it - reads: "IDE device failed. Blank media or no media is present in opitical drive. Test requires media with digital data resource CD, Installation CD."   Whatever you do, don't install the installation CD, as it will attempt to reformat your hard drive and you WILL lose all of your data.  Unplug the computer and take it to a professional. Don't mess with Dell's tech support on this - it's a waste of time.

9.4K Posts

August 8th, 2011 10:00

Hi Writerworks,

Sorry you are having problems with your computer.  I may be able to assist.  Please contact me privately by clicking my username, then on the next page, click the envelope icon that says "send message" and send me your information.  I'll see what I can do.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

ref 19573337

2.2K Posts

August 9th, 2011 09:00

the Dell forums on this error code 0F00:136C indicate a failed hard drive

There are few threads, none of them from you, that mention that error code. While some of those threads do indicate a hard drive concern, those ones also indicate that the error code came up while testing the hard drive. Each situation is different, and to fault these forums when you never even asked regarding your situation is unfair.

In the future, for advice specific to your situation, create your own thread and give as much information as possible. I truly believe you could have been helped for free here, you just never gave anyone the chance.

IDE device failed. Blank media or no media is present in opitical drive. Test requires media with digital data resource CD, Installation CD."   Whatever you do, don't install the installation CD, as it will attempt to reformat your hard drive and you WILL lose all of your data.

That is odd that a virus would want to reformat the drive,a s doing so would cause the virus to eradicate itself, which, ironically, would have solved your problem.

2.2K Posts

August 9th, 2011 11:00

NOTE: Post I was replying to has been deleted....

"the sole purpose behind my adding my experience in the first place was to try to help anyone else who may get this code and automatically conclude that it's a failed hard drive."

Well intentioned, and I do understand you are trying to help.

What I don't understand is how this is Dell's fault or the Forum's fault. Someone wrote what sounds like a pretty crafty virus to mislead the computer owner. It worked. Be mad at him.....

When you call Dell and are out of warranty, they will not provide free support, nor will any other computer maker.....

For me personally, I wouldn't use a forum like this to officially diagnose anything that (seamingly) serious.

That is your call, and, in my opinion, that is your mistake.

Better you had come to these forums first. Like I said you could have been helped for free.  Now that you are aware of these forums, use them. They are a great resource.

If you have not done so, contact Robert privately, and he may be able to work out something for the products you purchased. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

August 10th, 2011 07:00

Where in anything that I wrote did you get the idea that I was looking for free support? As I wrote, I tried to buy a new warranty. Also, when a person thinks they're dealing with a dead hard drive, and they're not a computer genius, then I don't imagine most people would look to this method to resolve their problem. I for one am not going to fiddle around reading a bunch of posts or taking apart my tower to look for parts and pieces that I'm not even sure of.  Your ideas are completely out of left field. That said, I'm thrilled that you have such high regard for Dell's community forum - and they may be good for some issues- but there is also a lot of in accurate and outdated information on here too. Not sure why you take such great offense to my statements unless you are a Dell TS person and you just feel the need to defend the entire program.  Not surprisingly, my previous post was deleted - too much truth telling and they probably didn't like me pointing people to the Face book page where others tell similar stories of their nightmare experiences.

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2011 08:00

Also, when a person thinks they're dealing with a dead hard drive, and they're not a computer genius, then I don't imagine most people would look to this method to resolve their problem. I for one am not going to fiddle around reading a bunch of posts or taking apart my tower to look for parts and pieces that I'm not even sure of. 

That is fine, but then don't include the forum as part of thfault if you admitedly have not read through all of it.

I'm thrilled that you have such high regard for Dell's community forum - and they may be good for some issues- but there is also a lot of in accurate and outdated information on here too.

Your loss - could have saved you several hundred dollars in your case. At that price, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

my previous post was deleted - too much truth telling and they probably didn't like me pointing people to the Face book page where others tell similar stories of their nightmare experiences.

It was in violation of the Terms of Use you agreed to when you created your account. Specifically, profanity appeared to be the issue if I recall correctly.

Direct your anger towards the virus writer or the person who got it on your system, not Dell or me.

August 10th, 2011 09:00

I am not, nor was I ever blaming the forum for anything. Do you not understand the English written word? Let me break this down for you in real simple terms that you can absorb.

1. The forum is fine, but it cannot and should not be relied on 100 percent. Sometimes, the information here is WRONG and I used MY experience regarding the error code 0F00: 136c as a very important example of that. I never said that it couldn't be the hard drive. I simply said - don't assume that it is just because, A -  tech support tells you that  or B - this forum says that's what it is.  Both avenues could be and WERE in my case very wrong. That's all I was saying. And you don't understand.

2. With the forum totally aside from everything, it remains true, and more true with each passing day, that Dell's tech support is highly unreliable - warranty or no warranty, free or paid for. It's still very bad & very frustrating. And everyone here knows that some of thier tech support people are on these forums and use these forums to dole out unreliable advice.

3. You said I should blame the virus. That statement is actually funny. How exactly would I do that?  Shouldn't it have gone without saying that I was angry about the virus? Don't you think if I could have found who or what caused all this that I would have posted some choice words for them too? I was never blaming the forum for the virus. I was using the forum to pass along information that might help someone else who gets the code and is told it's a failed hard drive. I went one step further to say that I personally would not use or rely on the forums for something as serious as repairing or replacing a hard drive.  That doesn't translate to the forum not being any good. It just means I wouldn't be comfortable using it for that. If others want to and feel comfortable with that, then go for it.  You have brought in so much unrelated information into this thread - and put so many words in my mouth that I never said or implied, that now, anyone reading any of this will be lucky to glean anything beneficial from it.  Please stop writing to me.

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2011 14:00

Bottom line.... Neither Dell nor the forums did anything wrong in your case, so there was no need to even bring them up if your post was truly about helping people.

I was simply pointing out that:

A) You faulted the forums when you did not even ask for help or use them to help diagnose your problem

B) You faulted Dell Technical Support, but then admit you were not covered under any warranty or Service Agreement.  It sounds like you ended up in Dell sales, they sold to you, and that is why you are upset....

C) These forums, whether you choose to use them or not, are a good resource for people.

Note that the main ideas (the forum and Dell Tech Support) were brought up by you in your first post, so I am unsure what unrelated information I've brought in.

EDIT: The benefit of these forums is thaty peole can read what they want and choose to agree with whatever ideas they want. If you choose not to read this, I understand. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to your bias against Dell and the fourms.

August 10th, 2011 15:00

Your exact quotes and my response in red: 

"Bottom line.... Neither Dell nor the forums did anything wrong in your case, so there was no need to even bring them up if your post was truly about helping people. I was simply pointing out that:"  It was ON the forum where I FIRST read that the error code meant a failed hard drive, so your statement is incorrect. It wasn't about doing anything wrong or right on the forum. It was about saying, "hey folks, dig a little deeper before you automatically assume that these forums or tech support is the Gospel."

"A) You faulted the forums when you did not even ask for help or use them to help diagnose your problem."  - Incorrect again. I came to the forums FIRST, read the old threads and THEN called tech support who then also said it was due to a failed hard drive - which as I have said 15 times now - that was not what was wrong. I have all the case numbers of all the various tech support people I was bounced around too - none of them were in sales.

"B) You faulted Dell Technical Support, but then admit you were not covered under any warranty or Service Agreement. It sounds like you ended up in Dell sales, they sold to you, and that is why you are upset...."  Actually, the only person I'm annoyed with at this point is you because you seem so unable or unwilling to see anythiing other than Dell's side of it. Whether I was covered or not covered by a warranty doesn't have anything to do with getting incompetent technical support.  You make out like if I had been armed w/ a warranty or service agreement (both of which I tried to buy) that somehow I would have gotten more reliable, sound advice.  I didn't pay a dime to be told my hard drive was dead. The way you put it out there, if I had paid for that shoddy advice, then maybe it wouldn't t have happened.   Gee, that really makes you guys look great!

C) These forums, whether you choose to use them or not, are a good resource for people. Again, I never said they weren't a good resource, just not 100 percent accurate. You can argue that point until you turn blue in the face, but it doesnt change that as being a FACT.

I know one thing for sure - if you ever see that error code here and someone asks for help, I bet you'll think twice before saying "failed hard drive."

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2011 15:00

I stated you did not ask for help. You didn't. Rather you chose to misinterpret what you read here. Had you started your own thread and detailed your problem, I am quite certain you would have had it fixed for free.

Sorry you don't seem to like that reality. Or the reality that you were out of warranty - and no, you do NOT get the same level of tech support with or without a warranty. That would kind of take away the meaning of said warranty...

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2011 19:00

Again, all I said was...

A) You faulted the forums but did not even seek help specific to your problem (note that 'specific to your problem' part)

B) You faulted tech support but were not even in warranty

C) Your problem was caused by a virus, and it was a virus set up to intentionally get the user to perform an act... Without seeing the machine, and without any coverage whatsoever (hardware or software), it is hard to fault Dell for that.

You win, though, I will not recommend these forums to you. Feel free to spend whatever $400+ you have sitting around to get a virus removed.

Also, I'd recommend removing the terms of use violation form your post, or else it may be deleted like you other one.

August 10th, 2011 20:00

You couldn't reccomend a quality kitty litter to me, much less this forum. I found it without any help from you and if and when I use it again, (which I will for some things), - I'll avoid your posts like the plague. You've shown that you're far more interested in arguing than looking out for the customer - yeah, that's me, Mr Hrova. 'Im the customer.  I've been w/ Dell for over five years and have over $8,000 worth of their computers in my offices, so a warranty issue on one of them had nothing whatsoever to do w getting reliable information. Also, it only cost me $60 and two days to get the virus removed from the computer in question, not $400 and an afternoon of horrible stress on the phone w/ Dell TS. It was Dell who charged me $400 in un-needed equipment, of which I have as of today been credited all but $100  of it  - with thier "sincere" apology for my troubles and a survey asking me to detail my experiences. So, you're right - I do win

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2011 22:00

I am glad Dell worked it out with a refund for you, and glad that you realize there is a value to these forums and will be using them in the future. 

I do recommend rather than just reading (and therefore possibly misdiagnosing your situation) that you post a thread specific to your issue. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here. I would NOT recommend mentioning that you feel these forums are wrong in your posts as you are probably less likely to get help that way.

Anyway, glad your problems are solved. It sounds like you got a good tech guy to help you out of a virus for only $60. Keep his number....

9.4K Posts

August 11th, 2011 04:00

This thread is now locked.

ref 19598994

No Events found!