Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 13:00

Hardware Error Message on Dell Printer A 940

I am unable to print a complete page on my printer. It prints about a half page then ejects the paper and the printer gives me a "Hardware Error 0502". I have looked in all the papers I have for the printer with no luck on how to correct the error so I can print.

Can anyone help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2009 13:00

jerrynjeri,

Here is how to fix error 502.

Rick

» Reposition the Encoder Strip on the A940 All-In-One Printer

To reposition the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Remove the power cord from the unit.

2. Lift the lid of the unit, just below the scanner portion of the All-In-One, to expose the inside of the unit where the printer cartridges are located.

3. Gently slide the ink cartridge carrier to the middle of the printer.

Out of Position Encoder Strip
Figure 1: Out-of-position encoder strip

1. Gently move the top part of the printer belt to the right.

2. Using your index finger, gently push encoder strip down and then back up to get it back into the slot located on the back of the ink cartridge carrier.

Note:  
  There is a small slot that the encoder strip fits into, which is located on the back of the ink cartridge carrier.

While working with the encoder strip, check it for dust or any unclean spots. If any detected, try to clean the strip by wiping it gently with clean cloth.

1. Gently press the strip first to the rear and then forward to ensure that it is seated correctly.

2. Manually move the ink cartridge carrier to the left, then to the right to check the positioning of the encoder strip.

Correctly Seated Encoder Strip
Figure 2: Correctly seated encoder strip

Note:  
  If the encoder strip moves at all, it has NOT been repositioned correctly.  

1. Once the encoder strip has been re-seated, close the lid to the unit.

2. Re-connect the power supply to the All-In-One.

3. Press the Power button. If the encoder strip was re-seated correctly, the Hardware Error: 502 code will not appear.

No Events found!