Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 9th, 2009 21:00

Hoax.... Free laptop?

I didn't know where to report this... hopefully an admin will see.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=355563360211

1 Message

December 9th, 2009 21:00

I saw the same group.  No information on Google yet.  I'd say any group created by a 16 year old girl promising to give away laptops to half the people in the group is probably false.  I'm going to go ahead and report it on facebook.  It's how I roll.

43 Posts

December 9th, 2009 23:00

100% hoax.  The group asks users to enter a javascript code into their address bar which grabs every friend's name and adds them to an invite for the group.

I guess we should all be lucky the JS isn't more malicious.  Because we all know how stupid people can be.

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 23:00

Hi Friend,

i just got this message from my facebook firend about this "dell laptop giveaway free shipping". who do i report  this to? can't anybody do something about this? i'm not really a computer programmer. i just want to get rid of some of this unnecessary email traffic or spams.

9.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 09:00

Not sure where you guys are seeing this on Facebook.  The above link only goes to the Facebook main page.  Is the ad coming from one of Dell's Facebook accounts?  If so, and you no longer wish to see them, click on "hide" located on the right side of the Facebook post. 

If it's coming from your Facebook friend, then you could un-friend them or tell them you no longer wish to see these promos.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 16:00

Bibamoi,

Can you please post a link to the group on Facebook. When Robert get on in the morning, then he can check it out and if it's a hoax, he'll report tyhe group to Facebook.

Thanks,

Rick

1 Message

April 20th, 2010 16:00

Hi,

there's a new group claiming that they will be giving away 20 laptop from Dell.

Dell donne 20 laptop au membres de facebook

i'm pretty sure this is an Hoax.

Thanks

2.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 18:00

It`s not from Dell, it`s from another company. There is also one on there now for free Ipads. Don`t fall for it.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=110595868979122&ref=nf

http://www.facebook.com/even.php?eid=1108212322887581&ref=ts&ref=ts

sorry that 1 was wrong it's actually http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1108212322887581=ts&ref=ts

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 19:00

MW2DUDE0217,

Thank you for the links. I could NOT find the pages for either link. It looks like the page was reported and has been removed.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 19th, 2011 17:00

blackknight5039,

Dell now has a better way to contact them. Try...

@ReportDellScams

Rick

2.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 16:00

Another thing some 'companies' try and do that users should be aware of is the 'get a free dell, hp, apple, whatever' by going to a webpage.  While its not malicious, if you read the fine print, you have to complete sometimes up to 10 different offers like sign up for netflix for a month, apply and be approved for this credit card, and so forth.  A lot of it is buy this or that as well.  First off, by the time you are done spending your money and putting your personal information out there, you could have bought that free whatever, on your own.  Also the companies like Netflix or the Credit Card company are not requried (and probably don't) give any sort of information to these websites to say you even signed up for their services and products.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2011 18:00

i keep getting emails telling me to test and keep a dell laptop it even said free i dont have a cell phone also dont use face book also they want you to get net flix or something that costs money thats not free fre means free i am waiting for surgery and my laptop has about had it i cant work or do i have credit cards and i really could have used a dell laptop than you krbred

1 Message

February 7th, 2012 00:00

Hi Robert here is the link sent on facebook for the free laptops

[Admin Note: Malicious Link was removed due being blocked by firewall]

9.4K Posts

February 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi Robert here is the link sent on facebook for the free laptops

[Admin Note: Malicious Link was removed due being blocked by firewall]

Mety112,

Thanks for sending it.  I had to remove that when both the Firewall on my computer and the Dell Corporate firewall blocked it.  Obviously it is a fraudulent post.

Facebook has been notified. 

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!