Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2008 11:00

How can you have Windows XP and Vista OS running on the same computer?

I am new to the community.

I just ordered an XPS420.  The guy that took my order said he had heard of having both operating systems (XP and Vista) on a single  computer and being able to choose which one you want to use at start up.  Has anyone heard of this being done or done it. I have a legal version of window XP home edition on disk. 

I ask of this because the computer my kids have no longer works and they have many older games for XP that they still like to play. My only other alternative is to use XP exclusively if I can reformat the system.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2008 11:00

tgrutt

Yes, you can dual boot Vista and XP,  see HERE

Bev.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2008 15:00

That is what I was looking for.     Now as long as I can follow directions I'll be OK.   Or it could be just enough to get me in trouble :)

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2008 15:00

tgrutt

You are welcome.

If you can follow the directions and are use to working with computers, you should be fine.

Printing the instructions, to use as a reference can sometimes help.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2008 18:00

I'm pretty sure I can do this.  The computer won't be here till sometime after the 12th. (I have printed the instructions :)  )

Are there any downsides to doing this?  I know the plus is to be able to run old XP games.

The system is going to be  an XPS 420  with the 3.0Ghz dual core processor 4MB memory and a 3450 ATI video card.

Thanks Bev for helping out.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2008 18:00

tgrutt

The downside is the same as all upgrades, making a error during the installation, causing you to have an unstable system and the worse that can happen, is having to restore the system to it's factory settings, or a clean reinstall of either Vista or XP.     :emotion-3:

See HERE

Bev.

No Events found!