Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

December 4th, 2008 16:00

How do we unsubscribe from a thread's email notifications??

The email notifications I'm getting have the following footer:

----------------------------------
You were sent this email because you opted to receive email notifications when someone responded to this topic.

To unsubscribe, go here and disable your email subscription for this thread.

The "here" link simply takes me to the thread, with no visible options for unsubscribing.  The only work-around I've found is to disable all notifications in my profile preferences, which is something I'd prefer not to do as I may miss updates on threads that I am still interested in.

For example, I'd very much like to remove my subscription from the "Poll - New Community" thread, with 716 replies received so far!

I am aware of and found this link for the "forum subscriptions", which operate on a per-forum basis.  These are all set to "No" already.  Where are the thread options?

1.7K Posts

November 11th, 2009 10:00

Hi Bklynlou,

Thanks for asking. We have been working on resolving many of these issues for a while. The reason it takes so long is because we have initially focused on urgent items that needed to be fixed quickly, for example, back in November of last year after the initial change one of the things that had to be changed quickly was the way the forums looked. If you remember originally the forums were not in a standard table like format where you could quickly scan through the posts. We were able to get this fixed early on, but this fix still took several months of testing and work to make sure the change was right. Other items like the ability to unsubscribe to a thread take are taking longer because there are other items that we're working on fixing at the same time and testing to make sure they all work properly takes time.

We typically will put up notification when an update is going to occur then after the update we post a list of items that have been updated or fixed.

15 Posts

November 11th, 2009 10:00

hi gina.  im curious about something.  how does a problem like this drag on for so long?  for me personally im waiting about half a year.  for others i believe its much longer.  why hasnt this been resolved yet?  i would appreciate some sort of reply explaining this because it seems like this has gone on far too long already and shouldnt be that big a problem to fix.  thank you.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2009 22:00

This does not work at all Gina, the pages comes up with error, one would think a company like DELL would not have this issue at all but then perhaps it does not want people to be able to leave the community, it creates a massive database they can sell on to make even more money.  DELL is faceless.  :emotion-14:

1.7K Posts

November 17th, 2009 05:00

Hi Sunnylod,

I have checked your settings and the I still see the notification and email settings the same. I will change them for you. If you continue to get notifications please let me know.

86 Posts

November 17th, 2009 05:00

I think this is an interesting thread and the only way I can see to subscribe to a single thread (not an entire forum) is to post a message, which is an odd feature in forum software. In fact, there are a number of oddities in the software of this forum and I am beginning to think I'm in for one long ride.

Yep, a second very educational thread.

Who would have believed that in all my years on the Net and all my years as a moderator, user admin, and finally owner that I would find a jewel like this owned by a company like Dell. Yep, very educational.

This is going to be very interesting and I wouldn't miss it for the world; quite literally, considering the Net will some day cover our known world.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2009 07:00

1234h,

After the holidays are over, there will be new features added and we ask then for a subscribe/unsubscribe button.

We're keeping our fingers crossed. The only other way to unsubscribe to a thread is to go to your user panel, switch to the threaded view and unsubscribe from there. I also was told, you cvan click on favorites and watch it bounce and this will unsubscribe you.

Rick

86 Posts

November 17th, 2009 13:00

I am getting the feeling that the two tools, 'favorites' and 'subscribe', are tied together, yes?

If we add a thread to our favorites list we are also subscribing to the thread, thus will receive posts in our email account?

By the way, when you use the vocabulary "bounce" do you mean an actual image jumping around, not something coming back as undeliverable?

If the former, is that programmed properly? It's supposed to bounce?

Sorry, I'm not willing to test a tool on somebody else's site if it might be acting odd. And that sounds odd.

86 Posts

November 18th, 2009 16:00

I'm of the belief that it's not in the best interest of the Community to leave threads hanging, so I'll answer my own questions now that I've had the opportunity to check a few things out. Which also means I should apologize for posting questions that I would eventually find answers for myself. Too much of a hurry, I suppose. Maybe I'm just lazy sometimes. Sorry about that.

Anyway, while checking the comings-and-goings here I finally found a few threads that were worth putting into my "Favorites" file and I now see the "bouncing" is simply an oscillation programmed into the system - the old oscillator relay (these days, transistor). So I got that. Guess I should have thought of that right away, but maybe the relays in my brain were oscillating. 

I've also found that adding a thread to "Favorites" does not enable the subscription tool, so I guess the only way to subscribe to a thread is to post on that thread. Or have I missed a tool someplace?

By the way, seems the two choices listed for "Favorites" are post and forum. That's kind of interesting. In fact, many tools and user interface aspects of this forum are rather interesting and have me wondering who developed this forum software. I am sure I know who didn't.

I know I keep writing this, but this is/has been one very, very interesting learning experience here on DFC. Glad I found this place, although my staff has started to complain that I'm spending far too much time here. Oh well, that's one price one must pay for knowledge -- time. 

7 Posts

December 24th, 2009 10:00

Dells customer service is the worse I have seen from any company. My email is flooded by posts that discuss how much dell sucks! Not only in their production, but in every aspect! I'm willing to bet this post get flagged.  Dell sucks!

18 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 15:00

If Dell cannot fix this small thing, then what Dell can do?

18 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 15:00

If Dell cannot fix this small thing, then what Dell can do?

2 Posts

February 12th, 2010 06:00

Just found this thread after a couple of LONG waits on the phone to get someone to help (yeah, right).  I'm sorry I ever gave Dell a dime. I'm now a sworn enemy of the company and will bad mouth it every chance I get.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 12:00

Followed instructions to turn notifications and email settings off in my profile AND I'M STILL GETTING EMAILS!  Hello, Dell, anyone home???????

63 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 18:00

I've been afraid to post and get yet another subscription I cannot remove.

This is really silly.  Interesting story about Dell in the "What Would Google Do" book I just got, really made me think.  Dell did turn around for a bit, but what is going on?  I feel I have been too silent about my issues.  I try to be courteous here and not bad mouth.

So I too, have tried everything in this thread, and continue to get one about "delivery issues" [1] for Alienware.  Funny thing is - I was posting to say I had 2 systems within 3 months and had NO issues at all with shipping (call-in experience is another story, plus hardware problems on both systems).  I was trying to show my positive experience in the flood of bad ones.  Now I cannot stop getting emails about everyone's issues now on the 40th page.

I created a filter to handle this one, but it has happened to others as well.  Even if I uncheck "email me replies to this post" when posting for the first time, I get attached for life.  In fact I will try that now, unchecked.  Screenshot saved.

Typically it doesn't bother me, but I too am scared to use software like this that isn't open, and takes so very long to fix.

With so many excellent open source tools, why this atrocity?

[1]: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19309212.aspx

March 6th, 2010 18:00

Here are the instructions to stop  the emails:

Go to www.dell.com

Login

Click on Community

Click on Edit Profile

When the box appears - Click on the Site Options tab

Scroll down to "Edit Configuration" section

Click on "No" for the following: Receive emails, Receive HTML emails and Send Notifications

Click on the Save button at the bottom.

This should stop the emails. It has worked for me!

No Events found!