Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

November 12th, 2008 14:00

I just wanted to talk with an American

I know our friends in India are doing their best, God bless them, but some times I really need to speak to someone who is not reading from a script.  I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to get someone in Dell's 'Customer Care' department to understand why I would be upset that an order I didn't place was showing up in my account.  I was basically treated like a thief.  I finally got a manager to agree an error had been made but he said he still couldn't remove the order.  All I wanted was to talk with someone in Texas, because I think they would have appreciated my position and would have helped me, but unfortunately it appears all calls are directed to India.  It is sad when you can't speak to an American for an American company when calling from America.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but this doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.  Does it?

1 Message

November 17th, 2008 07:00

gpatterson i dont think your request is unreasonable....i feel the same exact way....i think talking to ppl from india is really really hard. I have had nothing but dell since the 1990's and there customer support used to sooo wonderful they were rated 4 stars...now its terrible...i hate to have to say this but because of the support i will not be buying another dell ever again. i am going to look for different options and customer support will be the number one issue for me. I would love to speak to an American...the language is a big issue for me

I  must agree.  Nothing is more frustrating than to have to wait 30 seconds after each one of your questions for the employee to look through his possible scripted answers.  When I told him that made no sense, he just repeated the exact same response!  I've been waiting for my order for 2 months, and his response was for me to RE-ORDER the very same products!  Like I have nothing better to do but spend another hour going through the zillion step online order process.  I am so completely disappointed and disgusted with Dell.  I will NEVER purchase any products from them at all, and will make sure anyone who asks knows just how bad their customer service has become.  Shame on you Dell!  I'm not even American, but I do feel that at such a time of economic crisis, companies who get rich off Americans owe it to their communities to contribute by employing Americans.  Customer service used to be such a point of pride for the USA. I don't understand how companies can be so blinded by the immediate profit gained from foreign outsourcing that they fail to recognize that customer service representatives ARE their company in the eyes of their customers.  Oh, I could go on forever, but Dell has wasted entirely too much of my time and energy already.

1 Message

I was trying to make sure i was buying the right power supply and get some questions answered. I saw i could buy it online for 29 or 39 dollars (different models - I was confused)...and the employee tried to sell it to me for $89.00 - he did not know that i had looked at the Dell site already. When i told him i saw it for 39 he got all flustered and said oh yeah i could buy that one but he had to order it for me and i could not do it online cause it was out of stock. He just kept on and on trying to get me to order it from him. I finally hung up on him and just ordered the thing. Hope i got the right thing...I wonder if they get commission....unreal....What a bunch of .

November 18th, 2008 17:00

Update from the issue I had that started this thread.  So I write a letter and send it to corporate in Texas.  Guess who calls me?  Correct, someone from India.  It appears Dell does not want to communicate with their customers from the US. This US company is more than happy to accept US dollars in payment for their products manufactured in Taiwan and then provides all customer service and customer contact from India.  If this is an example of the global market place I will start doing business with my local Mom and Pop shops. 

I do hope someone from Dell reads these posts.

137 Posts

November 19th, 2008 04:00

As far as I know if you want a native language speaker you need to have BOTH a business PC model AND a business support contract.

I've purchased both business and home models on a business support contract and the business models get native language support while the home models get Indian call center support. What is VERY ironic is that the home systems are usually much more powerful and expensive than the business systems (Who needs quad core extreme power for word processing?) yet they get the poorer support service.

2.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 11:00

Another way to be guaranteed North American Tech support is to use the Dell Your tech Team service.... Basically, for $99 a year (as long as the machine is under warranty), you get guaranteed North American Tech Support, along wioth some other upgraded service options.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 12:00

I know exactly how you feel.My 1505 laptop bezel pulled apart and I wanted to fix it.I called tech support[India] and the rep gave me a price of $500.I said the screen was ok just needed a new bezel.Price dropped to $200.I said that much to buy a bezel? No,this was to send it in-$50 both ways-$50 to test after repairs-50 for repair person.I said I can repair it myself and was told they couldn't give me a price on the part.200minus 50 minus 50 minus 50 =50.Simple math but not for the tech or his supervisor. Where are the american techs they had years ago? Gone to work for someone who cares I guess.

December 6th, 2008 14:00

So, basically an American Dell customer would have to pay to speak to an American....  I think I'll just purchase a Mac next time.:emotion-5:

3.4K Posts

December 6th, 2008 17:00

So, basically an American Dell customer would have to pay to speak to an American....  I think I'll just purchase a Mac next time.:emotion-5:

Hello,

I don't work for Dell, but I am an American and you can ask me support questions for free. :emotion-36:

And I'll wager that I am correct more often also. :emotion-15:

20.5K Posts

December 6th, 2008 19:00

I don't work for Dell, but I am an American and you can ask me support questions for free.

Me too! :emotion-2:

December 6th, 2008 20:00

Good evening,

I would heft to agree with you on that one!

137 Posts

December 8th, 2008 00:00

The one big point that needs to be made here is that when you buy a MAC you are buying a much more expensive system with a much more expensive technical support package. It's not an even fight when you are comparing Dell build from mostly stock parts to a MAC build using propriatry systems and costing 30-50% more.

That's like comparing a regular state school to a selective private school that only admits kids with a 4.0 GPA. You get quality with a MAC because you are paying more for a premium system. If you want the same quality and support from Dell then you'd have to pay more for it, just like you are paying more for a MAC.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2009 10:00

I have read this email and all of the ones attached to it, I have a similar situation.  Apparently Dell does not give a squat to customer relations once they have your money.  I have spent hours trying to understand our little buddies from India, It ain't happening.  I don't care what discounts or offers Dell comes up with, I will not spend another penney with them because of this isssue. 

Dell does not seem to get it and I have not received any response to any complaint from anybody at corporate over this issue.  Profit is the name of the game at Dell and they already have my money so I am screwed.  I will do everything I can to disuade anyone from buying from Dell.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

Well, I had a similar encounter with customer support in India. I bought an Inspiron 15 from the website a week or so ago, and it said that a 6-cell battery was included in the purchase price. So I paid, then the e-mail confirmation said I bought a 4-cell battery. I filled out a form on the Dell.com website explaining the problem, and I got an automated response that didn't help at all. I replied to the e-mail per its instructions, and I got no response at all. So I called customer support and talked to Sanjeeb. I explained the situation, and all I got was "very sorry, your computer is in production and there is nothing I can do about it." I told him that the website or somebody had made a mistake, and that I never even had the option of choosing a 4-cell battery. Then he argued with me and insisted that I had bought a 4-cell battery! "No sir, you did not pay for a 6-cell battery. You paid for a 4-cell battery." It went round and round for a while, and I just gave up. But it seemed to me that he really didn't get what I was saying...either that, or he was just using a script (SCRIPT: If computer is in production, there is nothing you can do about it.) So I guess I'll just take my 4-cell battery laptop and deal with it, because I'm not going to pay for a restocking fee or extra shipping because of their mistake.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 24th, 2009 14:00

For all of you complaining about tech support in India and wanting to take your $$$ elsewhere. Name the PC companies that do have tech support in the USA other than Apple. Then maybe I can take you seriously.

You pay 2x as much for an Apple. The components that make a PC or a Mac cost essentially the same, the difference is the support cost.

If all of you are willing to put your $$$ where your mouth is then maybe we will start seeing USA support again.

No Events found!