Chick195
1 Copper

I'm new here and have an Inspiron1150 problem

My Inspiron 1150 laptop screen went dark and I'm not sure where to ask if it's a battery problem or a video board problem. And if it's one or the other, how do I purchase replacement parts? The rest of the computer seems to be working OK because I can use the keyboard to turn the computer off without holding down the power button.

Chick Jordan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Davet50
6 Indium

Re: I'm new here and have an Inspiron1150 problem

Do you see anything on the screen when you power on the system, like the Dell splash screen? If you see no video at all it can be the motherboard, or the screen it self. If you have a spare monitor I would try connecting it to the video port on theback of  computer and see if you can get video on a seperate monitor. If you do you know your video system is working and it is either the screen or cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. If still no video then the motherboard is more than likely bad, as the video is part of the motherboard and not replacable by itself.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
Chick195
1 Copper

Thanks Davet50. I do see the initial Dell screen when the system is turned on. For a while, I could see a faint image on the screen but no longer. I'll try to hook another monitor on and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any chance that it could be something other than a mother board?

Chick Jordan

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

It could be the LCD also. it is hard to tell. Like I menitoned the external monitor will help.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
DiverSPb
1 Copper

Hi, I had absolutely the same problem - it turned out to be the LCD lamp invertor.

0 Kudos
Chick195
1 Copper

Thanks for the input. I think that we are on the right track. I'm trying to locate someone local to correct the problem. Meanwhile, I've bought a desktop and have transferred my files to it.

Chick Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
owenstg
1 Copper

My 1150 needed to have the LCD light bulb replaced.  If you can barely still see the desktop icons when you hold the screen at an angle, it may just need the bulb replaced.

0 Kudos
Chick195
1 Copper

Thanks for the input. I believe that you are correct because I have the same symptom and am looking for someone local to repair it.

Chick Jordan

0 Kudos
owenstg
1 Copper

To fix my 1150 laptop, I ordered the replacement part (light bulb) from lcdpart.com (MSLDELL141R CCFL) for $9.99 and $9.99 shipping in Feb 2008.  My advice, if you end up attempting to replace the CCFL yourself, buy two.  The CCFLs are very fragile and I broke my first one.  Then I ordererd two more and now have an extra one still in the box.  I believe the blown CCFL is the second significant repair that I have had to make to my 1150.  Note: Replacement of the CCFL requires soldering.

0 Kudos
Chick195
1 Copper

You've given me the incentive to fix it myself. I like your advice about buying two in case of a problem. Also, if I don't break the first one, I'll have a spare.

Thanks.

Chick Jordan

0 Kudos