Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2008 09:00

IE icons turn into generic icons after Windows update.

Dell XPS, Gen 4; Windows XP

When I allow automatic update to download and restart my computer, most of my IE Explorer icons on my saved pages, on the desktop and in folders, turn into generic icons.  System restore reverts them back again.  So what is the update doing to my computer?  A few IE icons are not affected(?).   Both MHTML and HTML are affected.  This only affects the icons on my saved pages.

I've tried many things, nothing works.   Thanks.

(BTW, figuring out how to ask a question here is needlessly difficult for new users.  The "Post a new thread" link needs to stand out more.)

3.4K Posts

December 6th, 2008 09:00

Hello,

You can try resetting the icon cache by making a change to the cache and then changing it back. Here's how:

1. Right click an empty area of your Desktop
2. Select Properties
3. Select the Appearance tab
4. Choose the Advanced button
5. In the "Item:" drop down menu, click the entry titled 'Icon'
6. Using the up or down arrows, change the number displayed
7. Click OK
8. Using the above instructions, change the value of step #6 back to its original position.

December 6th, 2008 14:00

Thanks, but that did nothing.

139 Posts

December 6th, 2008 18:00

Does this happen every time there is an automatic update? Or only this latest one?

What if you create a new shortcut after the update? Does the icon display properly?

You could right click on the links and change the icon for the ones on the desktop.

Also you could go into control panel/appearance/folder options/file types. Check that the files are associated with the right program and icons.

December 6th, 2008 21:00

Hi,

I've had this problem before.   The first time was when I downloaded the Firefox browser.  The Icons disappeared and both IE and Firefox saved pages saved with generic icons.  So I deleted firefox and the IE icons reappeared after a few days.  Then when I downloaded the Google Chrome Browser, the same thing happened.  Deleted Chrome and things returned to normal.  BUT I also had some updates happening around both of those events, and now I don't know what caused what.  The last time it happened, I waited several days for things to return to normal, and then I used system restore, I think.

If I save new pages, the pages don't save with the proper icons.  I've tried changing the icons and the change won't take.  I've tried opening the pages with a different program then reverting back again--nothing.  Nothing else is affected.  The pages open just fine.  The IE icon on the shortcut that opens the IE program is not affected.   Any saved IE page, though, on desktop or in any other folder, will show only generic Icons.  I've tried messing around with folders in the registry (changing some value from 1 to 0, I think), nothing. 

There is one saved page in the upper right corner of my desktop, however, that always remains unaffected!  But if I start playing around with it then it, too, disappears.  (Although, sometimes it comes back.)  And I have other saved pages from the same site as that one, but they  lose their icons like all the rest.

I haven't got a  clue.

Thanks.

I have Security Shield 2008 antivirus.  (fully scanned)

Forgot to add, I've googled and found a couple other people who had similar problems, but there were no solutions. 

No Events found!