I bought a 1G memory (Dell) to bring laptop up to 2GB. It requires a BIOS update. so...I wnet to Dell.com to download it. But when I ran it it gave me a meesage that WINPLASH User Interface stopped working, therefore the BIOS was not updated and the memory cannot be install.
The Inspiron 1501 is running Vista Home Basic.
Could someone help me to resolve this problem?
The same problem with Winphlash occurred for me today - "user interface stopped working" - on the same computer & OS.
Why hasn't there been a response for this?
The BIOS update to version 2.6.3, A16 is the explicit solution to my "battery cannot be identified" error message, yet I cannot update the BIOS due to the Winphlash error.
I have the same exact problem, same OS, same everything..... where's Dell support???? Hello? still waiting as usual!!!!!!
3 days later I tried it again - after I deleted all files previously downloaded and executed the download again, it worked - inexplicably
and once the BIOS update ran, then the battery error message problem was resolved and has not reoccured
Same exact problem. Been working on it for hours, very frustrating. Each solution requires a solution in what appears to be a never ending rabbit hole of unworkable solutions.
I have the unrecognizable battery error (on my factory installed battery that is only a few years old), I found on the forums the BIOS flash solution, downloaded that, followed the Dell provided instructions for installing it, and Winphlash fails to work.
I then followed some of the advice in this thread, including the turning off UAC, and still nothing allows Winphlash to work.
I'm going to try deleting the other downloads of Winphlash and BIOS and starting over again with a root C: drive installation to see if it runs properly from there.
It's really amazing that it's this difficult just to run a simple download from Dell. Especially considering I am running zero non-dell peripherals.
Well, I'm 'happy' to say that after I followed the advice in this thread to delete the other downloads of the .exe that Dell instructed me to put on the Desktop, turned off the UAC controls, and re-downloaded the BIOS flash to the C: drive directly, the user interface finally worked as it should, the BIOS updated and flashed and when the computer reset the battery error was gone.
Thanks forum peeps for actually having the ability to navigate this, it looks like it's out of the scope of Dell customer service to simply provide a 'fix' that does not require a 'fix' itself.