Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2009 18:00

Inspiron 1545

I recently placed an order for the Inspiron 1545 and was wondering how long it is usually "In production". I have looked all around the forums and don't see the answer any where. The only upgrades I had added was the free 4gb memory and the free 320 hard drive upgrade.

Thank you in advance for your help and answers! This is my first laptop and I am excited and impatient!

11 Posts

August 11th, 2009 12:00

No one?

15 Posts

August 12th, 2009 02:00

Hi Mzzcat,

I'm in the same boat as well... pretty miffed as when I placed the order the website said 1.5 weeks estimated delivery but then when I received confirmation it said 24th Aug (ordered on the 6th)

I was hoping to get it for this weekend but I dont think that's going to happen,

Anyone know of current delivery times for the 1545? I ordered the current offer package with NO modifications which it why it's even more anoying... It's been in production for the last few days. Rang the Customer support line but the woman just reeled off what the website said and I couldn't get across the fact I was after a more accurate time frame - wouldn't have minded if she'd have said they didnt have one but she didnt even understand my request...

Can't help but think there is a line between reducing customer service costs, and outsourcing to another country where it stops being customer service and starts being me talking to a script. Grrr.

15 Posts

August 12th, 2009 06:00

Gone into delivery prep over lunch time.

So far it's been:
Ordered Friday
Pre-Production Saturday
Production Sunday
Delivery Preperation Wednesday

From past experience hopefully shipped end of the day or tomorrow morning along with a delivery booking phone call.

15 Posts

August 12th, 2009 07:00

Thanks lucids,

I don't remember that happening with my last PC? However i've got my mobile at hand just in case.

107 Posts

August 12th, 2009 07:00

Just make sure you've had the call back from the accounts department, (i believe this is to prevent fraud etc) they call you back and check your security and payment details again. The only problem with  this appears to be that this dept and the sales department don't talk to each other so if they cant get through or don't get all the info they want they just cancel your order. Unfortunately they don't bother to tell you or anyone  that they've done this, so you patiently wait for your pc. It's only when you login that you then discover the orders been cancelled for some reason. You then have to get the whole thing set up and ordered again and start the wait again. I know several people this has happened to. The problem here also is that they seem to be not very well briefed with regard to the correct info, for instance wanting info that is just not available say security nos on cards that just don't have those type of security nos.My personal experience is that they are not very polite either, whereas the sales team were, i couldnt fault them, they were keen courteous and eager to do a deal to please the customer.

11 Posts

August 12th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for the response!

I also ordered mine on Thurs, Aug 6. early in the morning. It has been "in production" Since Friday evening. It still says "In production" with an estimated delivery date of Aug. 21. When I placed the order it gave an shipping date of Aug 17. So I guess I will just have to wait and see when it gets shipped.

11 Posts

August 12th, 2009 08:00

Well if yours in Delivery prep, mine shouldnt be to far behind that then huh? Where do you live? I am in Ohio and would love to get this before the kids go back to school. What was your ship date they gave you when you placed your order?

Also can you keep us updated on your order staus so that I can have an idea of what to expect?

Did Dell call you as the other poster indicated?

15 Posts

August 12th, 2009 11:00

No problem,

Looks like It shipped at 1pm GMT today (according to the delivery company) however the dell website didn't update until about 5:30pm. I'm actully over in England but the laptop shipped from China so I imagine yours will come from there as well. Delivery company recons delivery within 4 days which would make Monday. I'm awaiting a call from the delivery company now.

Dell didn't call me before they shipped the order no - straight out. I have ordered a few things before though, i'm not sure if that makes any difference?

Best of luck with yours, let us know when it ships!

11 Posts

August 12th, 2009 15:00

Well lucky you! Mine still says "in production". But that could be because I have the upgraded memory and hard drive, plus the integrated webcam (dunno if that was extra or not). Let me know how you like it once you do get it.

I was at Walmart today and saw the exact same laptop I ordered for $698. I paid $499 for mine. so $200 cheaper, I can wait an extra week to get it!

So no call from dell? That's good to know. Now I wont be waiting for a call from them. I check the website a few times a day so now I just wait I guess. lol

Thanks for your input, it is really appreciated!

11 Posts

August 14th, 2009 09:00

Looks like my order was shipped yesterday evening and according to Fed ex, it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Which is 2 days before the original scheduled ship date with an estimated delivery of 8-21-09. So not to bad on the shipping times. Just glad I didnt pay for over night shipping and stuck with the free 3-5 days!

And no call from dell here either. Which is fine by me.

15 Posts

August 18th, 2009 15:00

Hi again,

Just to let you know I got the laptop yesterday and it's Great!! Decent size, good keyboard/touchpad and the screen is nice and bright.

I went for the 6-cell battery and after customising the power settings i've managed to get 3hrs 45min battery life from it at 40% brightness =D

Hope you get on well with yours!

11 Posts

August 18th, 2009 16:00

Hi yourself!

I also received my laptop. Mine was delivered on Saturday 8-15-09. 2 days before the original scheduled ship date. It was shipped on Thursday 8-13-09 and delivered just 2 days later.

So far I love it! No problems at all. Cept once when it went into hibernating and I couldn't figure out how to wake it up! I can get a little over 3 hrs on my 4 cell battery with the dell recommended settings. But all in all I definitely think it was worth it!

Happy web laptopping (is that even a word?)!

No Events found!