karlcoke
1 Nickel

Inspiron 600M -ocassional boot problem

Yesterday when I started the laptop it got as far as the Boot up screen.  The bar at the bottom of the screen was about 7/8ths complete and there she stopped.  I restarted the computer via the power putton and it flawlessly went all the way to my desktop.  It happened again this morning.... was wondering if anyone had any ideas or if this is the start of some major hemmorhoid.   I'm suspecting my hard drive or worse.  thanks

Karl

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Thereal-dbk4297
5 Tungsten

Re: Inspiron 600M -ocassional boot problem

Hello,

You should run the Dell diagnostics and see what it has to say.

Report back with the results.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

Highlighted
Sofu
4 Beryllium

Run Dell Diagnostics to check your hardware (including the hard drive) as follows:

1. When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.

NOTE: If you cannot see anything on your display, hold down the <Fn> key and press the computer’s power button to begin the Dell Diagnostics. The computer automatically runs the Pre-boot System Assessment.

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

2. When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press <Enter>.

The computer runs the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of initial tests of your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display.

If failures are detected during the Pre-boot System Assessment, write down the error code(s) before continuing on to the Dell Diagnostics.

If the Pre-boot System Assessment completes successfully, you receive the message Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue.

3. Run the Expess Test and The Extended Test.

John

My Dell system

Inspiron 1520 purchased 5 Feb 2008
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250:2.0Ghz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB
4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphics memory
0 Kudos
Sofu
4 Beryllium

Hello,

You should run the Dell diagnostics and see what it has to say.

Report back with the results.

Sorry Darrell, I was a bit slow constructing my reply.

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
karlcoke
1 Nickel

It went through the preboot test ok.  After that i got a dialog box that said there was no diagnostic utility partition found, to run insert Dell driver and utility cd....bla, bla...problem is i'm not sure i can even find the cd...will have to contact my daughter as i inherited her computer after purchasing a new one for her.  Is it possible to purchase another utility cd? or is this necessary..thanks for the help by the way,  all this stuff is new to me.

Karl

0 Kudos
Thereal-dbk4297
5 Tungsten

Hello,

You can download the diagnostics program from here. Just input your system info on the page to get to your files.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

karlcoke
1 Nickel

darrel, john, sofu...thanks will let you know soon hopefully.

0 Kudos
karlcoke
1 Nickel

I went to darrels link posting and ended up with three options for downloading under diagnostics. ... 2 of them apply to 32 bit graphical interface versions and one is 32 bit diagnostic utility partition contents upgrade tool....not sure what to do here.  karl

0 Kudos
Sofu
4 Beryllium

I went to darrels link posting and ended up with three options for downloading under diagnostics. ... 2 of them apply to 32 bit graphical interface versions and one is 32 bit diagnostic utility partition contents upgrade tool....not sure what to do here.  karl

Download the version for your Hard Drive with file name CZ125700.exe. Save it to your desktop and then double click to extract. Use the following link:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R100688&SystemID=I...

Expand the Installation Instructions at the above link and copy them down.

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
karlcoke
1 Nickel

downloaded link to desktop.....double clicked to run it....saved to C drive.   Not sure what I need to do next.   I ran f12 diagnostics afterward and it does the same thing...goes throuigh initial boot test but then i get the deal about no diagnostic utility partition found...prompting me to insert utilities cd....

karl

0 Kudos