Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 11:00

Latitude E5500 with two hard drives (Vista) and (XP-from D620) separate images - How do I get the best of both worlds?

No this isn't a Miley Cyrus question.

Here is what my goal is:

I want to buy  a spanking new Dell E5500 or equivalent, yet keep the hard drive I used on my old D620 which I do not have anymore.  I want to be able two swap two hard drives on occasion based on need instead of having to lug two laptops around.

E.g. the old "secondary bootable HDD dilemma"

• Hard Drive (1) Primary - the one that came with the E5500, let's assume I'll buy a SATA 5400 RPM 160G
  • Hard Drive (2) Secondary- a 200GB Hitachi 7200 RPM containing the image  from my old D620.....nicely partioned as:
    • F - NTFS (with Drivers, etc)
    • G- My old "C" drive containing programs and the WindowsXP operating system
    • H - My old "D" drive with files, etc.

I have saved the hard drive (2) and conviniently put into an external USB enclosure.

So - here is my dream

* On occasion boot from Hard Drive (2) and make my new Latitude E5500 appear as an XP machine.   If that is not possible, then at least have the ability to unscrew and replace Hard Drive (1) with Hard Drive (2) on occasion.

SOOO

How would I go about doing this? I assume I would have to get the drivers for the E5500 for XP (I'm buying Vista) and then somehow get them onto the F partition, but I am absolutely clueless on how to accomplish.

Any input would be invaluable, I want to do this right before I make my Dell purchase!

No Responses!
No Events found!