Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2008 18:00

Lost folder

Hi

One of the folders in My Pictures, which contains photographs, has gone.   I've run searches which have not turned up the missing folder.  I've looked inside all the folders in My Pictures and the missing folder is not in any of them.  I can only assume that the folder has been deleted somehow.  It is not in the recycle bin.  A back up of the My Pictures folder was done a week ago, but this particular folder is not on the backup disc, so it may have disappeared more than a week ago.  Is there anything else I can do to find this folder?  I should add that c-cleaner has been used at least once in the past week. 

Any assistance is most welcome.

Crab Apple

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 10th, 2008 18:00

You can try...

Click on my Pictures, click on tools, folders options, view, show hidden files and folders, then try searching your hard drive for the folder.

or

Download Recuva and have it look for your pictures and try to recover then using Recuva.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 10th, 2008 20:00

Starting and stopping you're computer, installing anything, updates, virus protection updates and many things can cause the images to disappear, especially if they were accidentally deleted. There are some other programs that might help, I just don't know all of them.

I always try to tell everyone, always make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. If your computer crashed today, or your hard drive failed, would you be able to recover everything you needed? If the answer is no, then burn the files and folders to disks.

Rick

31 Posts

November 10th, 2008 20:00

Thank you for your help.  I've recovered 10 photos of about 100 using Recuva.  I'll try again and see if any more show up.  It looks like they were deleted.

Thanks.

Crab Apple

31 Posts

November 12th, 2008 18:00

I did a full scan using Recuver and retrieved many more, but not all of the missing photos.  I'm very happy with what the program accomplished.  I was surprised by the amount of material that the program retrieved and wonder if someone can explain to me where it is stored and why C-Cleaner didn't get rid of it.  (In this instance I'm happy that it was still available!)

Thanks.

Crab Apple

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2008 02:00

When you delete a file, using CCleaner or the Recycle bin, they usually remove the files. The images are still on the hard drive until a program or something is put overtop of them. The only way to get rid of all traces of everything, is to get a program that does a Goverment wipe. The program usually puts III and OOO on the computer and covers everything up so no one can read it.

There are other tools that Law Enforcement Officers use to get the information off of your computer.

Rick

No Events found!