Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2009 11:00

MINI 9 Delays

I ordered a new desktop and Mini 9 on Mar 7 and was given an anticipated delivery date of April 9.  The desktop arrived on the 3rd.  However, to date I have received three notifications of delay for the Mini.  They now tell me the Mini will show up on April 27.  I've lost count of all the Dell computers I've purchased over the years and this is the first time they have dissappointed me in this manner.  Is it time to switch to another computer manufacturer?

9.4K Posts

April 13th, 2009 15:00

DAV-AZ,

Sorry you are experiencing a delay with the delivery of your laptop computer.  Dell's laptop manufacturing is done in Malaysia and depending on parts availability it can take about 7 - 10 days to build one, ship it to the US, then box it up and have it ready for the package shipper.  Then it would depend on what type of shipping the customer purchased for it to arrive at their house. 

The Mini 9 is one of our most popular computers right now, so the demands from the parts manufacturer to get the parts to Dell's manufacturing facility is pretty intense.  The current delays are postponing our original delivery estimates and extending those a bit.  Right now it looks like the supplier for the base (the plastic parts that surround the system) is having difficulty supplying us with sufficient parts to fill the orders within that 7-10 day time period I mentioned.

Please believe me Dell is not intentionally trying to disappoint you personally, as many orders are affected by these delays.  We appreciate your continued patronage and your patience, as these estimated ship dates are just that, estimated.  Things can happen faster or slower depending on the parts delays.  If by chance the parts get to us quicker, all the delayed systems will be put on a fast track to get them built and out to the customers quickly.

Hope this explains things for you.  Thanks again for your patience.  If I can assist you further, please Private Message me.

Regards,

Robert

6 Posts

April 20th, 2009 08:00

Well just received delay notification number four.  Someone told me not to purchase a Dell as the company has truly slipped.  I believe them now.  If I hadn't already ordered and received several accessories for the Mini you can bet I'd be going elsewhere.  As it is I'm trapped.

1 Message

April 20th, 2009 09:00

My order delivery is delayed by 37 days.

The only answer I got was that they have more orders than expected and that their manufacturer cannot solve all orders.

More and more I don't believe this.

I really doubt if I will receive my computer

Greetings from Germany

Andreas 

6 Posts

April 27th, 2009 17:00

Well I haven't received my official fifth delay notification yet, but I just checked my status and its been set back another five days.

Looks like I  need to cancel and go Samsung.

Ordered 03/07/2009 latest delivery estimate 05/08/2009,

7 Posts

April 27th, 2009 21:00

Mine has been delayed well over a month and not supposed to arrive for another month...pretty crazy...

6 Posts

May 4th, 2009 09:00

We're up to the sixth delay now.  Ordered 03/07 and new anticipated delivery date is 05/15.

6 Posts

May 11th, 2009 10:00

Another week, another delay.  The seventh now.  Ordered 03/07 and new guestimated delivery date is 05/22.

3 Posts

May 11th, 2009 22:00

After seeing your posts, I am really, REALLY starting to get worried.  I ordered a Mini 9 on 04/28 and was given an estimated delivery date of on or before 05/14.  As of right now, my Mini is still "In Production".  How could they possibly get it tested, boxed, shipped and delivered in 48 hours?  I really wish I could get a phone call or even an email letting me know about a delay, which seems to be the case, even though I was told specifically by customer service last week that there was no delay.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2009 08:00

dwanem, ordered on 04/28 with an estimated delivery date of 05/14....... amazing! if my experience is any indication.  I'm still waiting from 03/07.  My Mini is a straight forward 512MB 8GB with XP.  Nothing out of the norm.  Black, no camera, no bluetooth.  Last two times I talked to customer support they too told me there would be no further delays and the computer should be delivered on or before the estimated date.  That was two delays ago. I have not received a phone call or email either.  Only way I'm tracking the delays is to log on and check status every Monday just in time to see another delay added on.  

Good luck to you.

9.4K Posts

May 12th, 2009 08:00

Hi dwanem,

Which Mini did you order?  If you will send me a Private Message (by clicking on my name, under my pic) with your Order Number, Customer Number and Telephone Number, I'll be happy to look it up for you.   Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

3 Posts

May 12th, 2009 09:00

I thought mine was pretty straigitforward:  black, bluetooth dongle, the 8GB SSD was backordered so I paid for the 32GB upgrade that was supposed in stock, .3 webcam.  I don't actually think it will show up on-time, but I would have loved to have been told before I ordered that there was a problem with getting parts in time.  That way I could have gone to best buy and bought the mini 10 that they had on the shelf.  I wouldn't have had a problem with the delay had the first person in customer service I dealt with not denied the delay.

1 Message

June 10th, 2009 22:00

According to the FTC you have the right to cancel your order after a certain number of days from the original order. If you are not happy with the delay then cancel it. Otherwise, patience is king. Although I think Dell should give the group of customers affected some kind of compensation for their poor planning of product logitics they show have known would be huge in the USA. Lack of part/materials just demonstrates a lack of proper management of a company product release that would have brought a lot of customers back to Dell. Instead it scared a huge group of us away after this order arrives. I personally am waiting on a Mini10 that I ordered 5/11/09 and I now have a delay to 6/23/09 (40 + days) ..... just disappointing and there is really no excuse they can give me that will be acceptable.

August 31st, 2009 10:00

I'd

August 31st, 2009 10:00

I'd appreciate some follow-up about when those Dell Mini 9 systems mentioned in this thread actually shipped.  I ordered mine 7/29/09, and am still waiting after about 4 or 5 delays, and am just curious how bad things can get.

I'm fine with the concept of producion delays.  A lot of parts go into a computer, and if some aren't available, the company can't build or ship the system.  What I object to is repeatedly pushing back the delivery date only one or two weeks at a time if that's not when Dell expects the computers to be ready.  From what DELL-RobertP says, it's 7-10 days to turn around a system and get it to the US once they start building it, plus up to a week for the ground shipping to get it from Dell to me.  If that's true, then Dell should not be telling me the estimated arrival date is one or two weeks from now unless that system is already in production.  Otherwise, there's no way am I getting it that soon.

When I look up my current order, it says the estimated delivery date is Sept 10, meaning the estimated ship date is Sept 3.  The only way that could possibly be true is if the manufacturing facility in Malaysia is no longer waiting for parts, and is pretty far along putting together the system.  I wonder if Dell would be willing to either (a) confirm that's the case, or (b) push back my estimated arrival date far enough that it's a realistic reflection of what's going on in your production facility.

Thank you,

Adam

2 Posts

February 14th, 2010 05:00

How about Desktops does ANYONE care about desktops anymore?  I can tell from some of these forums that Dell doesn't care much about them.

Is Dell actually trying to get people to STOP buying desktops? Because continued delays just might do the trick. 

What happened to Dell anyway?  Used to be the best company out there, now it's vying for worst.  I'd like to know what is so hard about putting a desktop in a box and shipping it but don't want to tell you my order number for fear things will only get worse.  If I complain about the customer service and delays do you have a back room somewhere you call the "Abyss" and that's where you'll put my order?

If I ever actually receive my current order, it'll be the last Dell I buy.

No Events found!