Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2009 11:00

New Avatar not working

I have just joined the forum and I have uploaded a photo as my avatar.  The photo uploaded and displays in Edit My Profile but when I click on Enable Avatar YES and Save the photo does not display in my Public Profile.  When I go back into Edit My Profile the Enable Avatar is set to NO.  I have tried several times to set it to yes with no positive results.

Any guidance available?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 21st, 2009 12:00

It's probably not the right size or file type to use as an icon. Try editing the photo to make it smaller and use a regular file format like jpg. Some photo editing programs use a proprietary file format that cannot be used as an icon.

15 Posts

November 21st, 2009 17:00

Hello Mary G,

Thank you for your input.  The photo is in a jpg format and 80 x 80 pixels, 72 dpi with a size of 2528 bits; yet I can't get it to activate.

15 Posts

November 21st, 2009 18:00

Mary,

I just resized it to 65 x 65 pixels and 72dpi jpeg @ 2320 bits and still no go.

1.1K Posts

November 21st, 2009 19:00

Mauddib

Since it looks like you are selecting & clicking the correct buttons, i.e. after Avatar is uploaded & is displayed in Profile Options tab you scroll down & click the Save button

You should then receive a message indicating Profile has been updated & will take X minutes to take effect

Assuming there isn’t a problem with Dell web site or your Dell account?

Mary,

I just resized it to 65 x 65 pixels and 72dpi jpeg @ 2320 bits and still no go.

As you will probably see in Profile Options tab the Optimal size is 85 x 85 pixels & 72dpi

2320 bits seems small (= 290 bytes) unless you mean 2320 bytes, which may be above an upper limit?

Most Avatars are somewhere between 45 x 45 pixels at 1100 to 1920 bytes

Just a thought, assume on the Site Options tab you have selected Yes against Display user avatars?

If not then do so, click the Save button, then go back & retry installing your Avatar again

15 Posts

November 21st, 2009 22:00

Bell Boy,

Thank you for your input and correcting me on the bytes not bits (what was I thinking!).

I have resized the jpg file again this time to 45 x 45 pixels and 72dpi @ 1511 bytes.  I uploaded and the image is displaying on the Profile Options tab just as it has been since this began but, now of course it's even a smaller image than before.  On the Site Options tab the selection = YES; Display User Avatars.  Still no go after clicking on the Save button on the Profile Options tab.  I also tied selecting = NO; Display User Avatars and clicking Save on the Site Options tab.  Then, changed back to = YES; Display User Avatars and Saved again.

Still no go on displaying the avatar in the Public Profile. 

I click on the YES, Enable Avatar radio button to turn it blue then, click on the Save button in the Profile Options tab and I do get the green banner stating "Your profile has been updated. It may take up to 10 minutes for changes to take effect."  Yet, at the same time the Edit My Profile, Profile Options tab is displaying below the green banner and I can see that the NO radio button is lit up blue.  My avatar does not display in the Public Profile even after the stated 10 minutes or even an hour.

As I look at the screen which shows "Your Activity" it displays "Mauddib has a new avatar."  That same statement is now repeated 7 times.

Still at a loss looking for guidance.

15 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 13:00

To all,

Thank you for your efforts to help me get my avatar working. 

I tried experimenting with the sequence of events in the Profile tab in regard to the avatar and I found that there is only one correct sequence of events that allows one to display your personal avatar.  My challenge was that I had uploaded the photo before clicking on the Enable Avatar YES radio button.  The size of the photo had nothing to do with my inability to get it to display.

Solution to get the avatar to display:

1. In the Profile Options tab and prior to up loading your avatar (while the current avatar is showing the default "blue world") click on the YES radio button to Enable Avatar.

2. With the YES radio button showing in blue now click the Browse button to locate your photo on your PC and click (or double click) on it.

3. Click on the Upload button.

4. Your new avatar photo should now be displaying in your Profile Options page.

5. Click on the Save button.

6. Logoff of the Community site and Login again.

7. Your Avatar should be showing in the Public Profile.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 14:00

Glad you got it working and it looks good! Another thing--it takes about 10 minutes to actually show up after changing something.

15 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 14:00

Hi Marry G,

Actually, all I did was logoff and logon in the space of less than 45 seconds and the new avatar was displaying in my Public Profile.  Go figure?

Thank you for your compliment, "...it looks good!"  Yes, Arrow does look good doesn't she?  The guy on the right looks a bit sketchy though.

1.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 19:00

Hi again Mauddib

I was going to reply & ask if you were uploading your avatar image from a URL or your computer & then make some suggestions – but that’s all water under the bridge now

I must admit, reading your previous posts, I thought & it looked like you were already selecting & clicking the correct buttons in the correct sequence – my assumption was wrong then

Anyhow good to see your avatar – nice one :emotion-21::emotion-1:

15 Posts

November 24th, 2009 01:00

Hi Bell Boy,

Although I was clicking away, it was not apparent to me that one had to first enable the avatar radio button prior to uploading the JPEG.  On other web sites, in fact, all web sites where I have uploaded an avatar I may click on the enable button at any time then, save.  What fooled me was the fact that I uploaded the JPEG and it displayed on the Profile Options tab just fine.

Well, lesson learned. 

There are other issues with the forum I don't understand such as clicking on the Select Tags button.  I click on it and select the appropriate tags yet there is no Save, Add, drag and drop or any other button indicating please add the selected tags to the post.  I have found that if I just hit the return key on my keyboard enough times it closes the Select Tags Window and places the tags in the Tags window.  There is no rhyme or reason to it from my perspective.

Thank you,

Mauddib

4.6K Posts

November 24th, 2009 08:00

Hi Marry G,

You've getting ahead of yourself there?  You've only just met :emotion-3:

Sorry... couldn't resist it :emotion-4:

15 Posts

November 24th, 2009 12:00

Hi Mary,

Sorry for the extra r in your name.  I did not catch it on proofing so I am wearing my dunce hat, old and frayed as it is.

Question, is your Bluetooth working just fine?  It took a very long time to get mine to work.  The XPS 730x was missing applications, drivers and firmware.  Dell Hardware Support insisted that I needed a replacement motherboard, replacement Bluetooth hardware and I must reload the OS.  Needless to say I declined the offer and struck off on my own to find the answers.

Now the Bluetooth works very well and I can use my third party Bluetooth headset and headphones whenever I like as well as use the Dell Bluetooth keyboard and mouse without issue.  

Take care,

Mauddib

No Events found!