Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2009 21:00

New here - how does anyone REALLY get support here?

OK so I buy a wonderful Dell product from a national retail chain.  Get the thing home.  3 days after I start using it, the wonderful fingerprint reader won't work and I have numerous USB port problems.  I log onto this wonderful support site, don't find any help so I go to try to use chat or email customer service and this site tells me my support warranty has expired for my tag number... What the ??

2.2K Posts

January 24th, 2009 22:00

If it was purchased at a place other than Best Buy...

Somewhere in the paperwork for your new computer should have been instructions on how to transfer ownership to yourself, ths enabling the warranty.

Since it was not there or not found, look here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/register_your_product?c=us&l=en&s=gen

If it was purchased at Best Buy, all warranty work is provided at Best Buy by their Geek Squad. Again, there should have been something notifying you of that...

Hope this helps.

2.2K Posts

I agree... Too much registration...I hate giving these companies the personal info......

Good luck.

3 Posts

Thanks for the help.  I did the transfer.  Will see if it works.  Went through my old paperwork that came with the system and don't find these instructions anywhere.  I thought I registered the product when I first turned it on.  Perhaps not - you have to register so many things - printer - software, etc.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 25th, 2009 03:00

It should also be noted that most of us on here are not Dell employees - just users helping users.  If you want to directly contact some Dell department this forum is not the place to do that.

But, not buying a Dell directly from Dell seems to have it's problems wherever it's purchased.  I've seen posts from those that have purchased them from Sam's Club and there are issues getting support there too.  Dell seems to have dropped the ball when they started selling PC's through non-Dell retail sources.

3 Posts

January 25th, 2009 07:00

Realize that most are not Dell employees.  Unfortunately, its not intuitively obvious even for a semi-technical person such as myself to figure out how to get support when we are SUPPOSED to still be under warranty.  Agree that Dell dropped the ball in their business model when they decided to go indirect.  It seems I've found the answer through other users.  Sad that I need to learn from others mistakes rather than getting it from someone I paid to support me.

43 Posts

February 9th, 2009 09:00

To say Dell has dropped the ball on technical/warranty support for items (specially LCD monitors 24" and under) for items purchased at their retail partners is mild.  They've been selling through these vendors for many years now (Costco and Sam's Club have been selling the 24" UltraSharp monitors well before the Wal-Mart announcement) yet there still is no written method posted on this board to obtain technical or warranty support for these purchases.

Even when a mod replies to such a problem and tells you they will investigate, they don't post a solution for everyone in the thread.  What's the point of investigating if they don't post the results?  I'm guessing the investigation revealed no exact solution for the customer and therefore not posting is better than posting something seen as unfavorable to the company.  The point is to post the process for everyone, and not a PM to individual customers.  Do you really want all of your customers registering on this site just to send you a PM - and do you really want to send thousands of PMs for this technical/warranty support when you could simply point them to a thread that lists the dedicated phone # (or whatever the process is) for such purchases?

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19083894/19206880.aspx#19206880

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19257200/19426428.aspx#19426428

No Events found!